Following Breadcrumbs

I had realized exactly 5 seconds after I came out of my Fakir induced haziness that I had no idea where Mytho and Adelberto had actually gone. The cave had only had one real path leading up to it but when me and Fakir managed to finally escape it I found out that this was no longer the case. There were now 3 distinct paths leading away from the cave and they all looked like horrible options. One led to an open meadow that seemed to continue for miles, which would be very pleasant if I didn't know exactly how much the people here seemed to hate us, and that we needed to hide. There was also the path that seemed to lead us towards a pond, which just reminded me of exactly how badly I had betrayed my friends. The final path led to a dark, and dangerous looking forest, so dangerous looking in fact that I decided that Mytho had definitely chosen that path. He tended to go for the option that usually ended the worst for him after all and I highly doubted that this time would be any different. Hopefully, this forest didn't contain the Raven's lair though I could easily see Drosselmeyer sending the princes to their doom with me and Fakir racing behind to save them.

"That one." I pointed towards the forest looking straight forward still trying to avoid Fakir's eyes.

"Are you sure Duck? It looks pretty dangerous." Fakir said and I could hear the worry in his voice. "Do you really think that Mytho would go in there?"

"Would it really surprise you? Mytho's drawn to danger. Adelberto's exactly the same." I said it and immediately was filled with guilt at the thought. Adelberto also couldn't resist a girl with a dark past.

Fakir looked at me with frustration, "Who is Adelberto? Is he the person you were going to tell me about earlier?"

My mouth went dry; how was I supposed to tell him Mytho had a child now? "Fakir, " I hesitated, "You know how sometimes Drosselmeyer manipulates the people in his stories?"

He looked at me with wide eyes, "Is Adelberto one of the people under his control?

I grasped my hands tightly in front of me, pretending to scan the forest for threats, "No....thepersonhemanipulatedisyou."

He raised his eyebrows, "What did you say?"

I tried to make myself slow down, "You kinda died? And he might've brought you back as you used to be?"

The anger started to burn in his eyes, "What do you mean I died?!"

"Our story ended." I finally gave up on walking and just found a spot on the ground to sit down. I could feel irritation building. I hadn't had any control over any of this and yet he got mad at me?! "Mytho got all his heart pieces back, and took Rue back to this world. They got their happily ever after, and had a son, Adelberto. I went back to being a duck, and you...you grew up." I couldn't help but let the bitterness into my voice, "You even got married."

I could see a mixture of emotions on his face with regret, and anger still clearly present. "Duck," he walked towards me and I turned away. I heard him sigh in frustration. "I don't even remember that. It would be so much easier if I had any idea what had happened."

I gritted my teeth, "Let me just give you a quick summary. We searched for years for a way for me to turn back into a human. When it didn't happen you found someone else."

Fakir shook his head, "I wouldn't do that."

I just let the disappointment show in my eyes, "How would you know that? You don't even remember." I started to walk, Mytho calling my name behind me, trying my best to hide the tears. I thought I was over this. But clearly, I wasn't. I could barely even see through my tears, which caused my to slam directly into something, or someone as arms picked me up right as I began to fall.

I wiped the tears out of my eyes but I didn't need to see to know exactly who was holding me. The sparks had been hint enough. The only big surprise was that Drosselmeyer had let us find them so soon. But Adelberto's face made it clear it wasn't going to be a happy new reunion

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I updated and it's a longer one (for me at least) It was just too exciting not to make it a tad bit longer than usual. Tell me what you think comment/vote. And I'll try to publish faster!