Knight in Shining Armor

I lay on the floor of the cave trapped in my thoughts. Was I just what Drosselmeyer had wanted a puppet? I had thought all along that Mytho and Rue had been following his plans by running away to this world and leaving me a duck, that even Fakir had in the end had given in to his desires while I had fought against them. I turned myself into a ball on the floor, as I felt myself slowly going insane. Had I done what he had wanted all along? Was I really that pitiful? I knew insanity was slowly creeping up on me when I saw boy with dark hair standing in front of me, his eyes crumpled in confusion.

"Duck? What are you doing on the ground?" His voice was as sharp as I remembered, and he even was as youthful as our days at the academy "Where's Mytho?"

I giggled hysterically, unable to keep it inside, "I don't know Fakir. Probably at the bar, practicing."

Fakir dragged me up to a standing position and stared at me in shock before slowly shaking his head. "We don't have time for this Duck. We've got to rescue him from the Raven."

I laughed again, this time a little more bitterly, "You would think that my hallucinations would at least have the courtesy to keep track of the past." I leaned towards him, and he backed up a little in confusion, "We already saved dear Mytho Fakir. His son's the one that needs saving now."

Fakir just looked even more confused, "What are you talking about? Did  Drosselmeyer get to you too? Is that why you look different?"

I started to get annoyed, "Not you too! It's bad enough that Mytho and Adelberto think that I'm under Drosselmeyer's control, but now you too?!"

Fakir, looking a little afraid said "Adelberto?"

"Mytho's son."

"How does Mytho even have a son, if he doesn't even have a memory?"

I gritted my teeth, this hallucination was very quickly becoming irritating, "WE are way past that point. It's pretty obvious that we're not in the old town any more isn't it?" I grabbed his hand, barely conscious of the fact that a hallucination shouldn't feel so warm, and brought him towards the cave exit, "Does that look like anything you'd find there?"

I heard a laugh from behind us, and turned to find Drosselmeyer with a pout on his face, "So quick with the spoilers. I wanted to be the one that told him."

I glared at Drosselmeyer, "Here to torture me even in my insanity?"

Drosselmeyer laughed, "Oh, this is real. It's too good to be fake."

That was when I noticed that Fakir's hand was warm and clutching mine, and I quickly dropped it, shaking my head. "It can't be real."

Drosselmeyer just grinned, "I told you that I'd give back a piece of Adelberto's heart if you admitted your secrets. I decided to give you back one as well."

I barely kept myself from laughing hysterically again" My heart? So I'm not a puppet?"

Drosselmeyer frowned, "Puppet's are much too boring to be main character's." Then he smiled, "You're only heartless." He walked towards me, "Just like Adelberto. You both have so much in common, both birds, both want what they can't have, and both need someone to save you in the end. Fakir has always fit that role perfectly."

I glared at him, and looked back at Fakir to find him frozen, " Is that why you brought him here?"

He nodded, "That and I always wanted Fakir to see what he thought of my new story. Another's writer's critique is always lovely."

"But he doesn't even remember." I turned around to find Fakir frozen in place, " He doesn't remember anything."

Drosselmeyer smiled, "That's why I kept him from hearing it. So you could get a second chance with your knight in shining armor."

He started to vanish and as he did he whispered, " And love triangles are my very favorite."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note

I am off school today, so I took the chance to work on this instead of my ever piling school work. Please comment/favorite and tell me what you think of this!