You Don't Deserve My Help

I stared at Mytho, desperately hoping that he'd somehow make it less awkward.
Fakir and Adelberto had somehow ended up walking on either side of me and it was incredibly uncomfortable.
Like worse than Mr. Cat proposing to me uncomfortable.
At least I knew that he did it to everyone, the tension I could feel right now was definitely just for me.

Fakir seemed to feel it too and tried to bring a little levity to the situation "So Mytho, how's Rue?"
Fakir was as great at picking the worst thing to discuss ever.
Mytho gritted his teeth, "She hasn't been doing so well lately." He turned to me, "Isn't that right Duck?"

I knew he was angry with me but he didn't have to be unreasonable, Rue had nothing to do with me. "Adelberto's kidnapping...didn't do the best thing for Rue"

"That's an understatement" Mytho mumbled under his breathe
Now, I was pissed. "Yeah just like saying you were leaving for a little while to go back to your kingdom was an understatement" I turned to Fakir,"Do you remember what I said happened after the final battle?"

He shook his head at me, I didn't even know why I was doing this, I knew he had no idea what had happened to any of us. But I couldn't help myself, I was so angry.
"I understated how long I was a duck"

"Wait what did you mean? You eventually found a way back to your human form right? I mean you're here in front of me right now."

"You're right. I did find a way back" I pointedly turned to Mytho, "Why don't you explain this time how long it took"

Mytho shook his head, suddenly looking guilty "Duck, you know time passes differently here."

"Oh, but you must have a rough estimate right?" 

Adelbeto had been so quiet that when he finally spoke, Mytho and Fakir looked at him in shock "It's been more than 50 years." 

The fact that Adelberto, took my side didn't even phase me in my rage. "You try sitting in a pond for 50 years, a duck with the thought capacities of a human and you try being happy. I watched everyone move on with their lives and all I could do was swim around and quake." I looked off in the distance, "You go a little bit crazy. Just wondering how long you'll be stuck there." I looked at Mytho and even I could tell the crazy shone in my eye "But then the prince needed me again, so I finally got to do something"

Mytho opened his mouth, but Adelberto spoke for him "But does that really give you the right to betray us?"

"Yes!It does!" I screamed, the rage bigger than it had ever been on that pond, "But instead here I am, still helping you! Even after all you've done for me is force me to model my entire existence after what Mytho could want of me! Even when I was in this stupid story, the only reason I lived was for your father , and for what? So he could throw me away when he found a better princess to fall in love with? Adelberto, you did nothing to deserve my betrayal but it wasn't even that. It was simply me not helping you. After all your family has done for me, do you really think you've earned my help?"

 Adelberto looked ashamed, and the rage diminished a little. He really didn't deserve this, but neither did I. I calmed myself down, and balled my hands into fists, letting my nails digging into my palms vent the anger I had left. "I'm helping you, even with all of that, so please don't try to pretend you were the one that was hurt."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An update. And believe it or not this pettiness will soon come to an end!