The Truth is Stranger than Fiction

Adelberto just stared at me, "I'm waiting Tutu." I was a little shocked by his calling me that. He sounded just like Mytho, who stood in the corner, very quiet.
"I was tired, ok?" I summoned my courage enough to mumble  it under my breathe.
Adelberto gave me a questioning look.
I stood up straight and said it, "I messed up. Ok? I was tired of always being the scape goat, the one that had to sacrifice and I figured it should be someone else's turn. My entire life has always been written down with someone else's pen so I figured I should get to take a turn writing it for once."
Adelberto looked shocked," But I was willing to sacrifice for you."
I looked him in the eyes, "I know. I know." I hesitated then said "I just didn't think it could last."
Adelberto looked frustrated, "Why can't you trust me Duck?! I'm not going to betray you. You know I never would! You say what I said! I'm not Fakir Duck!"
I flinched, unable to face the truth in his words.
Mytho spoke, slowly coming out of his hiding spot in a corner of the cave. "How do we even know we can trust you Duck? Maybe you're just Drosselmeyer's puppet after all."
I glared at him, "I made a mistake, you've made them too Mytho."
He shook his head, conviction in his eyes, "See but all we've done is fight against Drosselmeyer's will. You've always just given in." Even Adelberto was starting to look convinced.
"You can't be serious." I said, but uncertainty has started to slip into my words.
"But I helped you and Rue get away! I helped you to defeat him!"
" Maybe that 's what he wanted. To let us get away so he could have his thrilling conclusion. It's just like Drosselmeyer isn't it? God the irony that the person who most wants to be free, is a puppet to his will." Mytho shook his head in disgust.
" I swear I'm not. It was just one mistake Mytho, I can help you now." I almost begged him, desperation clouding my thoughts, I couldn't be Drosselmeyer's puppet. I couldn't be.
Adelberto finally spoke, "You didn't want to help us from the beginning Duck. This sets you free. If you're not involved with us, you can make your own choices. You can be happy. And isn't this what you wanted?"
They walked away, leaving me alone, and I realized I wasn't sure what I was anymore. Much less what I wanted