Chapter Five- Head Starts

I walk out of the office completely in shock. I have never gotten in trouble before so the principal let me off easy and Jack too because he was with me.  Lucky bastard. 

"I should hang out with you more often!" I turn to the jerk talking with a mop and bucket in his hand. "I could get away with so much stuff!" 

I roll my eyes and walk away "Ass."

"I heard that sweet cheeks" I ignore him and walk faster. "Oh no I made someone mad," Jack said sarcastically. 

"Get away from me" I increase the distance between us as he jogs back up to my side

"I can't really go away when we are both spending after school cleaning the library." 

We walk into the library and see the mess we made, there is milk all over and sauce all over the walls.  

"Woah...." 

Jack made a face at the mess "I don't remember all of this..." 

"Ya. Me either" 

We begin to clean in silence either of us breaking the tense air between us. I couldn't stop thinking of why he came to eat with me in the first place... And how does he know where I eat? Starker much? I just don't understand why he keeps talking to me either... I'm nothing special here. What is he trying to do? Get into the mind of a shy person? He doesn't even know me! Wait slow up I bet he's just .. Having a bad day right? Needed someone else to be with so he just will forget about this by tomorrow and everything will go back to the way it was right? Well, nothing has really changed, right? So it is nothing if he just walks out now... It's not like I want him to stay right? No that's not true I don't even like him! We are completely different and there isn't anything between us. Wait... Why would I even think there is?

I just need to stop thinking.

I look up and see Jack just staring at me with a concerned look on his face. When he sees I saw him staring, he looks away quickly and walks over to a different area to clean. What's up with him? 

"Hey Dawn," he said looking up again. 

"What?" I said sourly. 

"I'm um... sorry you got in trouble," he said the not meeting my eyes. 

"Really?" I can't believe that he is apologizing! This is so weird!  

"Well... Um yeah." he said looking nervous but strangely cute... damn him and his good genes "but I know you liked it."  

I see his smirk return to face again. Jack is back.

"Liked what?" Having a mini heart attack that somehow he could have read mind earlier, before regaining all common sense. 

"That food fight? " I was about to answer when he added, "and getting carried by yours truly." I frowned and turned figuring he was done... But Jack never seems to be done. "I know you loved seeing all my... Back muscles" he said raising his eyebrows.  

"Seriously? Back muscles?" He has an ego big enough to fit the coliseum itself.  

"Yup! You know you liked them" He's smirking like he just won the lottery.  He was seriously dropped on his head as a kid.

Rolling my eyes it was my turn to smirk but I didn't say anything.   Causing him to just give me a weird look, I looked at him "What?"

"Why are you smirking like you said something funny when you didn't say anything?"  This just makes me try not to laugh even more, but I still say nothing.  He gives me a frustrated look and grumbles something under his breath.

I smirk again and just go back to cleaning.  I feel this gaze at me for a while before he gives up and goes back to cleaning.  I smirk and giggle again.  He looks right back me giving me a death glare, which just makes me lose it. 

I start laughing so hard when I see his face.  He gives a look like I have gone crazy, but by now I should care that a popular senior guy is giving me the "What is wrong with you" look.  Being with him is different than being with the guys that my brother is friends with... I don't understand it but I feel comfortable around him, maybe that's why I am now laughing on the floor for no real reason.

Then he does something I didn't except; he breaks into a smile, "You okay down there?" He says as he walks over to where I am laying on the floor.

I try to stop laughing, I really do but it doesn't work. So he decides to pick me up... again. Oh joy

I start to stop laughing and only giggle since his touch has made it hard to laugh so hard. My nervousness was returning at his touch.

"I knew the sight of my sexy back muscles could shut you up!" 

Are we on this again?    I smirk "Muscles?" I poke his back a few times.  I feel him chuckle but I start before he can make a smart comment "I didn't think muscles were supposed to jiggle."

He stops chuckling, "What? They do not jiggle!"

I smirk I think I hurt the poor baby's pride "Well then why do I see ripples" I poke him again and he flinches.  Someone is ticklish!   I can use this to my advantage... I begin to poke him over and over in that same spot making him squirm and try not to laugh. 

"Hey stop that!" he loses his control and starts laughing.  His laugh is amazing, it makes me start laughing along with him.

"Not until I am on solid ground!" I try to bargain for my freedom.

"NEVER!" he yells then flips me over so I am in his arms bridal style where I can't reach his back anymore.

I pout then get an idea and start smirking.  "Oh, no... no don't even think about-" he starts to say but not before I reach up and rub my fingers lightly along his hairline near his ears. He immediately starts laughing and sits down with me on his lap so he can use his hands for protection against my attack.

I continue until he catches my hands between his "stops" and laughs. Then he stares into my eyes with a huge smirk on his face.  Oh no.

"I am not ticklish like you" I add during our stare knowing what is about to go down.

"Should I test that theory, Miss Dawn?"

I shake my head "Nope Mr. Jack.  There is no need..."

He smirks and put his lips next to my ear. "I will give you a five-second head start." His warm breath in my hair sends goosebumps all over my body. "And go."

I snap out of his trance and run for what could be my life.  "One"

I stop and look where I should go "Two"

I can hear the smirk in his voice "Three"

What do I do? What do I DO? "Four"

I see the mop and bucket of water on the floor "Five"

I sprint at it as fast as possible and hear him behind me closing in with his long legs.  Knowing I'm not going to make it, I dive for the mop and grab it just as he is behind me.  I feel two large hands grab my waist and pull me back against him.

He puts his mouth next to my ear again... he must have noticed my reaction the first time he did that. He whispers in my ear, breath giving me goosebumps and weird tingles run down my body. "Your hair smells good." Before I can blush he starts running his fingers along my sides causing me to giggle and my knees to buckle. 

"Well, it looks like your theory is being proved wrong" I can't answer between my laughs as he holds me up since my legs and body are traitors.  As I laugh and try to getaway. The only thing, I can't understand is why he's being so nice and sweet to me.  Why is he doing this? Who really is Jack?