Jonah Clarke Is Surprised

Author's Note: So I managed to update!!! I will be writing from now on but weekly updates may be a struggle so I'm not going to set myself a schedule as that tends to

The first thing Daniel sees the next morning is his mother standing in the doorway with a massive smile on her face and a cupcake in her hand.

"Happy Birthday sweetie."

Daniel takes the cupcake graciously and smiles up at his mother. This is one of the few things Daniel likes about his birthday, the fact that he gets to eat cake for his breakfast. There's no other day in the year that offers that particular benefit.

"Thank Mum," Daniel says through a yawn, "you didn't have to do this."

"It's your birthday," his mother replies simply.

Daniel quickly places the cupcake on his bedside table, scrambles out of bed and pulls his mother into a tight hug. Daniel has to bend slightly at the knees to do so but the smile on his mother's face is worth it.

"Best Mum ever," Daniel whispers in her ear, "like seriously."

His Mum lets out a small burst of laughter as Daniel releases her from his grip.

"Whatever you say, but just so you know, you're my favourite son."

"I'm your only son, the only competition is Marcus and technically he's not yours.."

"Exactly."

Daniel shakes his head at her.

"Anyway I'll leave you to get ready for school," Daniel's Mum says, "enjoy your breakfast; it's only your birthday once a year!"

After demolishing his cupcake, Daniel quickly pulls on his clothes before heading out the door, not entirely looking forward to today. It's not that Daniel has anything against birthdays in general; it's more that he really hates the attention being on him. It just makes him feel uncomfortable.

As soon as Daniel walks into school he is greeted by a smiling Isaac and Jonah who instantly shout 'Happy Birthday!' when they spot him from half way down the corridor. Daniel tries to ignore the looks people are giving him after that.

"Here you go," Isaac says placing a massive badge into Daniel's hand, "that's for the birthday boy."

"Isaac..."

"And you have to wear it," Isaac interrupts, "else I'll cry. And neither of us want that to happen."

"I don't know," Daniel replies, "that'd be a great birthday present."

"Heartless," Isaac mutters, "the boy's absolutely heartless."

Daniel elects to ignore him and before long a present is thrust into his hands, and Isaac offers him a smile.

"You better like this," Isaac tells Daniel, "you've been saying you want it for ages and it cost me fucking loads. So please dear god pretend you like it even if you don't, cause it nearly killed my wallet."

Daniel shakes his head at Isaac's mini speech before peeling back the wrapping paper, carefully placing it neatly on the table next to him. He can hear Isaac and Jonah sigh at how long he is taking but Daniel doesn't pay attention to them, it's important to him that he doesn't rip the wrapping too much, it makes him feel bad after they put so much effort into wrapping it for him.

Eventually Daniel is finished with his task and his jaw drops open.

"Zach, you didn't have to."