Epilogue: Jonah Clarke Is Happy

Dedicated to amigoneutro for the fanart above. 

Warning. If you don't want a cliche, happy ending, don't read on

10:32PM

Parties have never really been Daniel's thing. They're too noisy, there's too much pressure to be sociable and Daniel's last attempt didn't exactly end well. But Liam was intent on throwing a New Year's Eve party, and some part of Daniel didn't want to decline and so he's here. Staring at the bottle of beer in his hand and wondering when his life changed to the point where going to parties seemed like a good idea. Daniel's got to pin this one on Jonah.

The boy in question is stood next to Daniel, casually leant against the wall, taking the occasional swig of his drink.

He smiles when he catches Daniel looking at him.

"You enjoying the party?" Jonah asks.

Daniel can tell that Jonah is teasing him, that Jonah knows exactly how uncomfortable Daniel feels. It's not as bad as it might have been a few months back though, Daniel doesn't feel like the walls are closing in on him. Progress.

"It's not as bad as earlier anticipated," Daniel replies honestly.

"You want to dance then?"

"Baby steps Jonah."

Jonah laughs then, a sound that brings back familiar memories.

"And who are you planning on kissing at midnight?" Jonah asks. "I've seen Will staring at you all night."

Jonah keeps his tone flippant but Daniel can sense the underlying nervousness. Daniel knows who he wants to kiss at midnight, is pretty sure they want to kiss him back. But he keeps his cards close to his chest.

"I haven't decided just yet."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

Silence descends upon them and Daniel shuffles awkwardly from foot to foot.

"Liam's done a really good job on this," Daniel says, a desperate attempt to start conversation, to dispel the tension.

"He has," Jonah agrees, "he's been working on this for weeks, of course he had help from me."

"It's a miracle that it looks this good then, I imagine you were more of a hindrance than a help."

"Hey!"

"The truth hurts Jonah."

"I know, but that one hurt especially."

"We're been friends for nearly a year now, you would have thought you'd be used to it."

"I guess I keep on holding on to the hope that one day you might change."

Daniel isn't sure why that statement hurts so much. A few months back it might have sent him into a dizzying spiral of panic, wondering why he's never okay just the way he is, but now it just stings ever so slightly.

"Really?" Daniel asks, and he can't keep some of the worry out of his voice.

"Of course not," Jonah says, gaze locked with Daniel's, "I love you just the way you are."

The word hangs between them like a trap ready for them to fall into. It's a word they've been skirting around for the past ten months. There's been moments where it's been mentioned before. It's been shouted in anger, whispered over the phone when they've stayed awake late at night. But it's moments like this - when Daniel can see the sincerity written so clearly on Jonah's face - when Daniel wonders if maybe it's time to accept that Jonah means it, that he's not going to change his mind.