Jonah Clarke Is Talkative

Author's Note: This chapter is dedicated to the lovely Luce2young who wrote a lovely review in charredsmoke 's 'Best BoyxBoy Books On Wattpad' book.

In other news, you may or may not know that I am major 5sos fan and guess who got soundcheck!!!!!!!!! Sorry, I'm still internally freaking out about it

Jonah has been strangely absent today. Daniel is pretty sure that Jonah isn't avoiding him; it's just that it's one of those days where their paths never really cross through no fault of their own. Jonah would usually wait for Daniel to arrive, but his bus was running late and so he didn't arrive until after the bell, Daniel missed English to go talk to the head teacher about the 'incident' with Harry and a rush to finish a geography essay meant that Jonah skipped on eating lunch with them.

Daniel feels slightly worried about how much he missed spending time with Jonah, it's not like he's dependent on him after all. Daniel happily went through nearly seventeen years of his life without spending time with Jonah Clarke, and yet now he can't even seem to survive a day.

"Daniel!"

The sound of Jonah's voice is unmistakable and Daniel hurries to hide the smile that forms on his face when he hears it.

"Danny-Boy! Wait up!"

Daniel quickly pulls to a stop and turns around slowly before waiting for Jonah to join him. The boy is breathless, having run down the corridor, but there's still a kilowatt smile on his face and he still directs it straight at Daniel.

"What do you want?" Daniel asks.

He tries to take the hostility out of his tone, it's not like he's pissed at Jonah. Daniel has just had a rough day, and he really just wants to get out of this hellhole disguised as a school.

"I was in the library and I found this for you," Jonah says, placing a book in Daniel's already very full hands.

"Thanks," Daniel replies, sounding unsure.

"Well I didn't find it for you, it's more that I found it and then I thought of you."

"Thanks," Daniel repeats, his tone no more confident than it was before.

"What do you think?" Jonah asks.

"'How To Tame Your Inner Peacock,'" Daniel reads, "it sounds, uhm, well, interesting, I guess."

"It's about increasing your self confidence," Jonah explains, "it was probably a stupid idea but I just thought maybe it could help, maybe not, I honestly don't know what I was thinking, my brain is fried, all I can think about right now are tombolos and stuff."

Daniel nods as if he understands, and offers Jonah a genuine smile.

"It sounds like a great read," he says trying to inject enthusiasm into his words, "I'll start it tonight."

"You don't have to," Jonah says, attempting to tug the book back out of Daniel's hands.

"But what if I want to?" Daniel challenges.

"Then you're an idiot," Jonah mutters under his breath but his efforts to take the book from Daniel stop and the pair begin to walk down the corridor.

"So did you miss me today?" Daniel asks teasingly.

He expects a flippant answer or a joke in reply; instead Jonah turns to him with a small smile and a confused expression on his face.

"Yeah," Jonah says, "I kind of did."