Kit X Reader: Before the Ball Jitters

OMG! VERY FIRST KIT X READER FROM THE NEW CINDERELLA MOVIE!!! Just saying, for you Dash shippers out there, if Asher and I were during Princess times, Asher would so be Kit XD

Requested by: magic_mockingjay

"Captain," the prince said, turning himself around to peer at his reflection in the mirror. "Does this jacket look okay?"

"It looks very well, Your Highness," he replied in his deep voice with a smile.

"I don't know," the prince sighed. "Would you like me to bring in (Y/N), Your Majesty?" The tall, African man suggested the younger.

"Yes, please," the handsome boy nodded. If anyone could calm him down and smooth his feelings, it would be his best friend.

Captain left and quickly returned with you by his side, excusing himself and leaving you two alone. "(Y/N), how does this look? Is this jacket alright? I don't think so. Maybe not the right color."

"Kit," you laughed, using his nickname. "It looks...distinguished." He chuckled lowly then bit his lip, looking at the ground. "What's wrong?"

"I'm nervous," he admitted. "You? Nervous? No way!" You shook your head in disbelief.

"No, really. I am." You frowned immediately. "Why?"

"Because tonight is the night I find a bride. I honestly don't think I'm going to like anyone I find at the ball."

"But they're princesses," you argued. "They're prim, proper, and-"

"Perfect," Kit finished, heaving a big sigh from his chest. "But maybe I don't want perfect. Who's to say that the definition of perfect is a princess who just sits there?"

You seemed to think about this for a moment. "Perhaps. Then what would your vision of perfect be?" You raised an eyebrow, patiently waiting for his opinion.

"A good, honest, country girl?" You laughed so hard you snorted, earning a laugh from your friend.

"Well, your advisors certainly would have keeled over had they heard that," he chuckled. You never failed to make his day. Even just something simple, like snorting and making a complete fool out of yourself, could bring a smile to his face.

"What if your 'good, honest, country girl' likes to roll around in a pigsty?" You grinned as he scrunched up his face in disgust. "I'd still appreciate it if she was the slightest bit dignified."

"Enough about princesses," you dismissed. "Have you practiced your dancing?"

"No," he sighed and rolled his eyes. "Even though the Grand Duke keeps getting at me about it. I do not wish to practice with one of the chamber maids."

You let out a giggle at thinking about the old chamber maids. They had been nice, at a time, long, long ago. They'd also been young long, long ago. And possibly beautiful. It would be a complete lie to say they could win the Miss Lady-in-Waiting pageant.

"Then practice with me," you offered.

"Alright then," he smiled and took your hand in his, resting his other on your waist while you put yours on his shoulder.

"Let's dance."

You both started to spin around the room to imaginary music, looking into each other's eyes. You'd danced before, but never with each other. Nose to nose, chest to chest, you wondered why you hadn't.

"You're a very good dancer," he complimented. "Thank you," you smiled. "But you're better."

"Believe me," he smiled back. "The better of us is you." He spun you out then back in so your back was to his front, swaying gently back and forth.