chapter four.

A full week had gone by without Lydia or Issac returning to school

By that point, almost everyone at school had heard about Lydia's illness one way or another. It was like wildfire. Everyone couldn't help but talk about it.

Even the teachers spent a little too long looking at Lydia's empty seat in their classrooms, a sinking feeling sitting in their chest.

It was strange, the way everyone suddenly seemed to shift. No longer seeing her for a bookworm who didn't pay too close attention to her style, but as someone everyone should be kind to. Everyone looked like they were planning how exactly they would make up for all of their neglect and cruelty upon Lydia's return. As though a gift basket would magically make Lydia forget her history with them.

Scott and Stiles seemed to be the only two who seemed confused by it all.

Stiles had done as he'd promised, informing Scott about Lydia's condition the moment he'd returned home that first day they'd hung out. Scott had sat in silence for a good 5 minutes, taking in the fact that their peer was dealing with such a serious illness. Then, he'd caught sight of the book in Stiles' hands, and changed the subject.

Scott and Stiles were close, but they failed to ever really talk about anything too serious. Frequent changing of topics was their way of communicating. A way of silently deciding neither was ready to talk about anything remotely emotional.

Apparently the school didn't have the same way of going about things. And the more everyone made a big deal about Lydia's return, the more Stiles and Scott felt suffocated, and nervous. They spent the course of the week in Mr. Hale's office, to avoid the topic entirely. By Sunday, Stiles and Scott thought Lydia and Issac might not ever return to school.

Monday, they both decided if the two didn't show, they'd head on over to The Martin's. Just to check in.

"Any sign of life today?" Scott asked as they made their drive to school. Stiles had picked Scott up at his house, as he did every morning, and the over looming cloud of Lydia and Issac Martin had already infiltrated their brains.