chapter seventeen.

Stiles wasn't that big on holidays

Other than Halloween, he refused to celebrate them. He hadn't been kidding in the earlier weeks when he told Lydia that he wasn't that big a fan of Christmas. What he'd failed to tell her was that it wasn't just Christmas that terrified him, it was most holidays. At least, the family oriented holidays. Thanksgiving and Christmas marking the tops of the lists.

The first year without his mom, Thanksgiving and Christmas had somewhat been avoided in his household. Seeming overall pointless without the laughter of his mother bubbling throughout the house in excitement for fat turkeys and shiny wrapped presents under the tree. Both Stilinski men had made a silent agreement that the first year without Claudia would be a silent one.

Sheriff had tried to pick things back up the following year, but the moment Stiles came home to his dad and Melissa pulling out Thanksgiving groceries and nearly had a breakdown, it went without saying that they would once again endure a year without holidays. After that, Thanksgiving and Christmas became days spent separately for Sheriff and Stiles.

Sheriff sometimes joins the McCalls for Thanksgiving dinner, after assuring promises from Stiles that he'll be okay, and probably just sleep. Christmas, Sheriff makes sure to take the shift at the station, smiling weakly when his deputies throw a "Merry Christmas" over their shoulders as they hurry off to their families. Stiles usually keeps himself locked up in his room, allowing himself to feel for 2 days out of the year. All other days of the year and he's perfectly normal. Against feelings, against bonds, wise cracking, and sarcastic. But those 2 days, he's far from the Stiles Stilinski everyone knows, and sometimes likes. No, he's almost unrecognizable, definitely inconsolable.

So it all makes sense to Sheriff, and Scott when the week before Thanksgiving, Stiles goes radio silent.

Nothing but music playing from his locked bedroom door and his jeep parked in the front driveway to notify them that he's home, and safe - just dealing with his emotions that seem to consume him the same two days out of every year.