chapter ten.

"They gave you medicinal marijuana!?"

Stiles stood, jaw slack and eyes wide as he stared at the object in Lydia's hands - or rather, two objects; a lighter and a perfectly rolled joint. Lydia's eyes were lit with wander, mouth curled into a tight lipped smile that was only in place to hide the laughter bubbling inside of her chest. Scott had yet to move, unblinking as he stared at the very thing they all were surprised to see placed in between the girl's fingers. Lydia appeared to be quite comfortable, which was even more surprising.

"To help with treatment." Lydia nodded, confirming their inquiries.

"Yes, I'm aware of it's use," Stiles sneered jokingly. "I just am surprised they gave it to you."

"Well I do have cancer," Lydia snorted a laugh. "I think they have valid reason to."

"But," Scott started, unsure of how to word things correctly. "You just - have you ever even.."

"Smoked? No. Of course not," Lydia shook her head wildly. "But I've always been curious."

"As is every sober teenager. That's kind of what we do. Unsatisfied curiosity is our thing." Stiles began to chew on his thumb nail, his nerves winning over him.

It wasn't that Stiles hadn't smoked weed before ...

Okay, that's exactly what it was. Being the son of the Sheriff kind of prevented Stiles from most illegal activity. Smoking weed, being one of the main ones he'd avoided. Drinking - he'd done. Scott had snuck over a bottle of his dad's old whiskey once and made it a point that he and Stiles drink all of it out of some minuscule revenge. Scott figured, if his dad ever came back looking for it, he could just throw the empty bottle in his face. At the time they were freshmen, and it had seemed plausible. Until they both were puking their guts out in Scott's basement.

Stiles never could look at Whiskey the same since then. Scott had put off drinking and drugs since joining the lacrosse team, and since Stiles had watched his father drink himself into a stupor after his mom had passed, the appeal never did last long. Although the occasional beer was always welcomed at parties. A future beer belly would say otherwise.