chapter thirty-two.

"I want to go home

"I want to go home."

Things — weren't looking good.

Though, nobody had expected them to be. Not with the way Natalie had walked in trembling, or the look of nervousness etched in Melissa's brow. The kind of look that said she regretted to be the bearer of whatever news she planned to tell them.

Nobody had chosen to sit upon her offer, though Natalie looked on the verge of falling over either way, swaying slightly before deciding it be best to lean against the wall. It had taken Melissa several attempts to begin after that, the toes of her shoes scuffing the floors as she shuffled back and forth — a tick that reminded Stiles far too much of Scott.

Finally, she mustered some semblance of courage, jaw clenched as she finally stopped teetering on either foot, meeting nearly everyone's eyes before she locked her eyes on the clipboard pressed within her fingers. She didn't allow another moment to pass before she read aloud the information before her, the sound of her voice surprisingly calm.

Lydia's platelets were low — the fall having left more bruises on her skin than average. It had been disconcerting to hear, but a transfusion, while not the most comfortable of options, could help manage things for a bit longer.

The infection, however, had been the thing to trap her to a hospital bed for days — and the very thing that had everyone so riddled with worry. Naturally, the septicemia had done more harm than good. Lydia had taken a hit to the immune system, one that she couldn't afford so close to the other side of the line.

It had been enough to cause the doctors to prescribe more medicines, and vitamins— slips of papers that were meant to be delivered to her home-nurse immediately. Melissa warned that she would be experiencing a decline in energy, at least for the next two weeks or so — especially with everything her body had already been and was expected to go through.

She wasn't necessarily on the brink of death, but they had come close in the previous days — enough to inspire Melissa to glance over at the stirring girl every couple of words, both panic and relief staining her features.