Chapter 1

It all started with 3 things: Maroon 5, Band Club, and Harmony.

October 19, 2:45 P.M.

Class had just ended a few minutes ago. Everyone had filed out except me. As she was walking out, Jennifer Moore spat at me, "Why aren't you a nerd? Oh wait. That's because you're the outcast of this whole school." She snapped her gum and walked away.

I didn't care about the insult - it could have hurt me less than a physical punch in the face. When she was talking to me, I wanted to laugh and say that the words didn't hurt, since it looked like her ego was bigger than her skimpy little body. I'd be lying if I said that, because words do hurt- they just don't bother me like they used to.

"Melody, I have something for you." Ms. Peterson walked over to my desk. "Since you like to write, I was hoping you could do this contest and represent the school." She put a large flyer on my desk.

"I'll think about it, Ms. Peterson." I smiled. "I already have Mr. Klein on my back about going to the music department after school every Friday."

She smiled back. "Well, think about it. Last day for submissions is July tenth. You have two semesters to write a novel. The winner will be published by Bird Books. You should try it out."

"Thanks. I will." I put everything in my binder, then shoved my binder into my backpack. "Bye Ms. Peterson!"

"Have a nice weekend, Melody." She waved, then smiled fondly. Secretly, I was always her favorite.

I walked out to the noisy and busy hall. One side was filled with cheerleaders flirting with the varsity jocks against the lockers, twirling their bleach blonde hair with their index fingers, flirting per usual. On the other side, the outcasts stood, talking to one another in hushed whispers.

"Mel! Mel! Mel!" I heard my best friend, Harmony, yell through the sea of teenagers in the hall. I ignored the calls and opened my locker, putting my things in just before Harmony ran over and shoved a flyer in my face just as I caught the look of her pale face and blonde hair.

"Nice to see you too." I muttered.

"Look!" She jumped up excitedly. Harmony was almost always on a sugar rush. It was funny but sometimes, it annoyed the heck out of me.

"Well, I can't exactly look at it when you're shoving the flyer in my face." I grabbed the flyer and looked at it.

BAND CLUB

Join today!

What: Making music in a band with all of your friends!

Where: The Band Room, Rm 143 in the basement (Take stairs down)

When: Every Friday after school

Who: Mr. Klein

"Well?" Harmony asked, rocking on her heels. "What do you think?"

"I'm not signing up for this, Harm." I replied and shook my head. "Not if Mr. Klein's the teacher."

Mr. Klein is basically the school joke. He's around his late thirties, and tries to use music to make him feel "young again". The man's pretty insane and wacko to be perfectly honest. He bungee jumps off a bridge every weekend, which I don't really understand. At least he doesn't talk about his divorce with his ex-wife (And he's only in his late thirties...) like other teachers. That's the only thing that makes him sane. Otherwise, he's the complete definition of eccentric.