Chapter 16

We practiced and hardly seemed to notice the days go by. Practice was now every other day, and we did more gigs at Under 21. More practice made perfect. Our bonds were as stronger as ever but there was still something weighing on my chest.

    My father.

    His trial was only hours away, and I didn't know what to do at all.

    I couldn't speak, and only watch, but I was so scared of my father seeing me watch the trial. It was scary. I was afraid of him, but also afraid of him hurting me more than ever. Mom was nervous, all right. She was shaking like crazy at breakfast and didn't seem to talk much.

    James' father, Mr. Anderson, is representing us, and he tried to reassure Mom once he arrived at our house. He was confident about winning the trial, and the weakest lawyer in town was representing Dad.

    The court was scary. I had been there before on a trip with Mom, who used to be an attorney, but then went back to college to become a pre-school teacher. It was also depressing. Everything was either grey or white and had wood furniture. It wasn't a pretty sight. The man would plead innocent and the opposing lawyer would prove him wrong. The man would leave the room, tears in his eyes.

    James and the others came with me. James had came with his father. Adam and I would come, and Rachel would stay behind with the twins and Clara. We didn't think it was safe for the kids to come, or they would act out.

    "It's alright." James told me on the car ride there. "It's going to be fine." He put his hand on top of mine, and squeezed mine softly.

    I hoped it will.

    Once we arrive at court, I saw the others dressed up for it. Michael and James had dressed up quite nicely in tuxedos (yes, tuxedos) and Kate, Harmony and I wore matching black dresses with necklaces.

    "Oh, Mel!" Harmony hugged me and so did Kate. "I know this hard, but we're going to win this. We are. I know it."

    I nodded quietly. For once, I wished I had stayed home.

    We walked in and stood for a while, as Mom and James' dad talked.

    "Your honor, this man has abused this woman and has been abusive to her children." Mr. Anderson began.

    This was going to be a long trial.

*************************************************************************************************************

    Hours later, the judge tapped her gavel on the stand and gave her final verdict.

    "Mr. Cameron has been proven guilty. I sentence him to a life sentence in prison." She ended. "If everyone would please exit, while I have a chat with the Cameron family."

    My friends and Mr. Anderson left with everyone else and I stayed behind with Adam and Mom. The judge stepped down from her extremely tall desk and met us on the floor.

    "You've been through a lot." She's said kindly. "Is this the whole of the Cameron family?"

    "No." I gulped. "My sisters and twin brothers are not present at the moment."

    "Ahh." She sighed. "Well, are you all okay now?"

    Adam shrugged and adjusted his tie, which I knew had been bothering him. "I'm teetering between Fine and okay."

    "That's understandable. Mrs. Cameron, you?"

    Mom blinked back her tears so she wouldn't ruin her mascara, which was the first time I'd seen her wear makeup at all. "I'm still adjusting to what's happened in the past few months, but I'd say I'm rather fine for now."

    "Alright. Well, I wish your family the best." The judge nodded. "Goodbye for now."

    As we walked out, I hoped I'd never see that room again.

*************************************************************************************************************

    We got ice cream with Mom and Mr. Anderson. While the adults talked, we planned our next move for the band.

    "Mm, this ice cream is good." Michael groaned.

    "Michael! Please, we don't have time to get off topic! This is important, we need to impress this representative!" Harmony said impatiently.

    "We have 2 months, and it's a beautiful day. The birds are chirping, and we won the case. The least we can do is admire it's beauty." He shrugged, taking another spoonful of ice cream and putting it in his mouth. I glanced at Harmony.

    "Well, we could relax today." I agreed. "Honestly, court was a little scary, and being reminded of the representative coming in one and a half months, is nerve-wracking, so if we could avoid the topic today, it would be a little less stressful."

    The band exchanged glances. "What?" I looked at them.

    "Sorry, we're all just really worried about you, Mel." James glanced at the others. "You know, your dad's been taking an impact on you."

    "Not anymore, that weight is off my chest, for now." I sighed and grinned. "I'm fine."

    "You sure?" James' hand reached below the table, and held mine for a little while.

    "Yeah." I smiled a little. "It's getting better."

    "Good." He smiled back at me.

    "Uh, is there something we're missing?" Michael asked teasingly. The parents also turned their heads towards us.

    "Yeah, I guess we're official." James chuckled.

    My eyes shot over to his. "Wait, we are?"

    "Well, only if you could agree to be my girlfriend." He smirked, and I lightly punched him in the shoulder.

    "And you're so subtle." I shook my head.

    "Mel, just answer the question!" Harmony shouted.

    "Only if you say you'll be my boyfriend." I playfully teased.

    "So that's a yes?" He smiled from ear to ear in excitement.

    "What do you think, doofus?" I laughed.

    "So does that mean I get to wrap my arm around your shoulders?" He grinned goofily and I laughed again.

    "Mmm, a smidgen more." I kissed him on the cheek softly.

    "OOOH KILL 'EM!" Michael shouted, which ended up with glares from everybody except James. He just looked at Michael oddly.

    "Dude."

    "I had to." Michael burst into fits of laughter, and soon enough, everyone else joined in.

    The pieces of my once broken life were starting to glue together again. Now, just the representative to please.