Chapter 12

Let me just say one thing: Valentine's Day is the most stupid holiday known to existence, in my opinion. Why create a holiday about love for one day, when you love someone all 365 days of the year?

    Maybe because romance only really is used on Valentines Day, where a guy will buy a girl a box of chocolates or a bouquet of red roses and they'll have a romantic date. What happened to romance 365 days a year?

    Nowadays, most guys are douches who treat girls like a toy, break the girl, then abandons the girl when she no longer has a benefit for him. It's sickening, really, although very few guys don't do that.

    Snap, Snap. "Earth to Melody Cameron." Harmony snapped her fingers in front of my face. "Band practice, come on, daydreamer. Class is over."

    I blinked a few times, and looked around the classroom. "Oh." I shoved my notebook and binder into my bag.

    "You were mini-ranting in your head again about Valentines? Oh Mel..." Harmony shook her head. "I'm not one to say this but you missed an important lesson today."

    "I'm sorry, I just... It's been on my head all week." I jumped out of my seat and put the chair up on the table, then grabbed my bag from the floor, where it had been lying all period long.

    "James?" Harmony asked as we walked out, and my head snapped towards her with wide eyes. "It's a tad bit obvious. But you're in the line with so many other girls, so don't get your hopes up too high."

    My eyes fell to the floor. "Yeah, I know I shouldn't. Who would pick me?"

    "Some guys are in the lineup to ask you to the Valentine's Day dance. Others are in the line up to ask you out on a date." She slung an arm around my shoulders and smiled. "You have a chance, but hardly with James. The sad truth of reality. We should get to practice, we're a little late."

    She grinned one of the grins that I had seen often displayed on her face during our friendship; the one where she was about to challenge me for a competition.

    "First one to my house wins." She smirked and shifted her backpack completely on her back.

    "You're on." I smirked back at her, and got into a running position stance. We hadn't done this in a little while because we looked really weird in the duration of running, and we crashed into a lot of things. We got a lot of odd looks quickly.

    "Ready... Set..." Harmony started, getting into her stance.

    "GO!" We yelled in unison and sped off. Harmony was leading, but once we hit the always bare tree on the corner of the block, I caught up to her and took over the lead.

    Harmony's house wasn't far. If I could just keep sprinting quickly, then I would beat her. She started to catch up, and I picked up my pace. Her house was only a few feet away now.

    I sprinted up the steps onto the porch and stood triumphantly while she jogged up, red faced as a tomato.

    "Not... Fair." She breathed heavily. "So... Not... Fair." She complained in between pants.

    "Come on." I unlocked the door, walked in, took a left in the hall to the living room, then down the stairs to the basement, where they were all waiting.

    "Sorry we're late." I grinned as a worn-out Harmony stumbled down the stairs.

    "You raced, didn't you?" Kate asked, then chuckled. "I can tell who won."

    "I did!" I jumped up and down. "It's the first time since I was 12!"

    "Practice?" James asked, then laughed since I was still bouncing up and down while Harmony looked like she was about to die, or at least faint for a few seconds.

    "Let's do it." We got into our positions and practiced for a little while, until four o'clock, when everyone had to go home. We weren't performing, another band was at Under 21.

*************************************************************************************************************

    As I walked James out, he stopped me before I went back inside.

    "Hey, Mel?" He asked, using his nickname for me.

    "Yeah?" I walked down the steps to where he was and looked straight into his eyes.

    "I was wondering if I could take you out tomorrow night. I... I mean, you... You don't have to say... You don't have to say yes, since you know, it's Valentine's, I wanted to take you out for... For like a date." He stammered.

    "A date?" I asked quietly.

    "Yeah, a date." He shrugged and put his hands in his pockets. "The cinema? A movie date?"

    "It would be lovely to." I smiled shyly. "Yes, you can take me out tomorrow night."

    "I should probably get home... It's getting dark." He waved, then disappeared into the night.

    "Night." I called out into the darkness. I heard the door slam behind me, and as I whipped around, I saw Harmony there.

    "What was that about?" She asked curiously.

    "I have a date tomorrow night." I replied cheerfully, then walked inside, leaving Harmony, her mouth agape and her eyes open widely.

*************************************************************************************************************

    As I sat in Harmony's room Saturday Night after the date, sipping hot cocoa, she asked many questions.

    "How was it?"

    How could I explain? It was amazing. Maybe it was the way that he did that thing where he pretended to yawn and slung an arm over my shoulders in the process of it. Maybe it was the way that we compromised what movie we wanted to see, when in the reality, it was the same exact movie. Maybe it was the way that he was so generous, and we managed to steadily eat the popcorn without it diminishing quickly as it usually did. All of those little things made it so... so perfect, so romantic, perfect for Valentine's day.

    "It was... well, there isn't any word for it. Amazing doesn't do the date justice." I shook my head. "We both wanted to see the same movie, and that's what we did. We shared a large popcorn and managed to make it last during the whole movie. He put his arm around me, and after, we stopped for pizza." I shrugged. "Simple as it was, it seemed so... perfect and romantic."

    "Sounds pretty awesome, and that you two had a good time. Wish that was me, I never expected you to date James." She tried to smile, but there was a hint of jealousy in her voice.

    "You'll find someone." I smiled. "Just give it some time."