Chapter 17

Funny thing about having fun: the hours and days pass quickly and eventually, you're at the end. Weeks and weeks had passed, and now here we were.

    We launched into complete rigorous practices, heading to Harmony's constantly after school, and practicing in every spare second we got. The songs were always stuck in our heads, and the more gigs we did, the more confident we were with performing for the representative.

    There wasn't many fights anymore. Maybe a few little arguments here and there, but really, nothing distracted us from trying to practice enough so we could please that representative on the second Friday night of June.

    School was as busy as ever. Of course, we started getting reassurance from our "fans" - little gifts at the gigs at Under 21, and letters slipped into our lockers during class. Posters were hung up everywhere. A lot of the teachers, except those who didn't support the music program and being "famous", supported us in every way possible.

    And suddenly, the night snuck up on us.

    We all wore t-shirts that bore our band name, and dark skinny jeans. The girls had their hair in the same high pony-tail with a touch of makeup, but not much. 

    The girls and I warmed up with a few scales and exercises. We were ready for this performance. We even had choreography prepared. Many trickles of sweat and bottles of water had been sacrificed during the practice. Kate taught us the choreography for half an hour everyday before today. After that, we would warm up jogging to keep our stealth and momentum up. Then, we would take a five minute break before putting the singing and choreography together and practicing it. After that, I stayed over at Harmony's house for a while to work on improving the music. Then I would usually bike home to my new home. 

    "You look beautiful." James complimented on me once the girls and I walked out.

    "And you, as charming as ever." I complimented back.

    "Awww.... Come on Romeo and Juliet, we're on in 5 minutes. We need to set up behind the curtain." Kate pulled me away from James, and James was pulled by Michael. A secret smile was on my face, but it was too dark for anyone to see once we reached the dark stage.

    There was only a microphone, but no stand.

    We had a couple pre-recorded background music for the choreographed songs.

    "And now..." Josh's voice spoke into the other microphone. "It is my pleasure to welcome you, Stuck On Replay!"

    The curtains opened, and the spotlight was on none of us.

    It turned on to Michael who raised his arms above his head and started tapping his drumsticks in the air. "One, a-two, a-one, two, THREE!"

    The music launched loudly.

    I felt like melting into the music.

    "Oh, no, did I get too close,

    This is where we are now,

    Torn, broken and scarred

    But what I'm wondering is how

    You're still here?

    No more time for fairy tales,

    We can do better,

    Whatever we do, I know we'll make it through,

    Cause it's me and you,

    Me and you, yeah,

    Whatever happens we'll still pursue,