01 // THE MAN NEXT DOOR //

THIS ENTIRE BOOK IS DEDICATED TO MY GOOD FRIEND, RAE, WHO IS ANOTHER PUBLISHER ON WATTPAD AND YOU SHOULD CHECK OUT HER BOOKS. IT IS DEDICATED TO HER BECAUSE THROUGHOUT MY ENTIRE TIME WRITING IT, SHE HAS BEEN THERE CHEERING ME ON AND JUST BEING REALLY EXCITED FOR IT. THANKS GIRL THANKS.

"...And they're still trying to find the murderer of Jenny Hastings."

"What makes you so sure that she was murdered?"

"She was nailed to a tree, covered in animal blood with her throat cut. If anything, it was a sacrifice."

"Oh, turn that shit off Lucy," My dad scoffed. My mum leaned over and turned the radio to a station that actually played music.

"No point," I muttered. "We're about to cross that invisible border of hell that messes with the frequencies."

"Alexander," Mum said firmly. She had this whole thing with hating me hate Northrun. I don't see why, she did too.

"How are you feeling Alex?" Dad asked. "We can stop somewhere to get water."

"We are literally half way through the middle of nowhere, dad," I rolled my eyes and stared out the window.

Northrun was four hours away from any other city. It was in the middle of this dense, annoying forest that cut off any transition to the outside world. To get an ambulance, they had to drive me out to where there was a signal. They called the ambulance and met up halfway. 

On the way in, it was just dirt and an occasional dead tree. Right up until just bam. Trees, everywhere. There was about three and a half hours of thick forest that surrounded Northrun.

Northrun was in the very centre of it all. It used to be forest, but people came and chopped some of it down until there was just a big square in the middle, Northrun.

Finally, my dad pulled into our driveway. We didn't have numbers or streets here in Northrun. Everyone just knew where everyone lived, we never got mail as well. Which should be strange, but wasn't here in Northrun.

I stepped out of the car and sighed. I'd been in hospital for the past three weeks and they couldn't find a single thing wrong with me.

"It was just a random seizure."

That's what the doctor had told my mum. I wish I had of taken a photo of her face when she heard him. She was like an explosion, screaming and cursing the doctor to hell.

My dad grabbed my suitcase and mum opened the front door or me.

"Surprise!"

I jumped a little and scanned the faces in my living room. My brother, Jones, my cousin, Harley Danzer and my best friend, Lincoln Jones, were all standing around with grins on their faces.

"What's going on?" I asked cautiously.

"It's a welcome home party," Lincoln grinned.

"Jones" Mum hissed. "I thought I told you to keep it small"

For those of you who didn't know my mother, this was her highest level of humor.

"Thank The Lord I didn't invite Oprah then," Jones snorted and Harley laughed.

"I've rented some movies as well," Lincoln told me, "your favorites of course."

"So none of them?" I rose an eyebrow.

"Don't get smart Alex," She snapped.

"Well, I'm going to shower," Mum told us. "After spending almost a month in that place... Ugh."