22 // STOLEN

"Where's my mum?" Eve asked after returning from my mother's book club.

"She went to Gregory County for a few days," I told her.

"What?" Mum whined. "She didn't say goodbye."

"She'll be back," Eve scoffed. "She wouldn't leave me here knowing how much she hates it here."

"Hmm," mum hummed and walked into the kitchen. As soon as she did, Eve looked at me with pleading eyes.

"She's coming back right?" She asked.

"Yeah," I smiled at her. "You said so yourself, she wouldn't leave you."

Eve nodded and smiled a little. She was shorter than I was, with a mousy brown bob cut and hundreds of freckles dotting her face. There was so much I wanted to ask her.

"How's your leg?" I checked.

"Better," Eve nodded.

"Define better," I said. Eve rolled her eyes and tugged the right side of her jeans down just enough to show me where Blue had stabbed her...

Only it couldn't have been because it was completely healed now.

Seeing my confusion, Eve frowned and buttoned up her jeans.

"You didn't know," she muttered and pulled a hand through her short hair.

"Know what?" I demanded.

"Please," she begged, "don't make me tell you. My mum will be really angry."

"Eve," I pursed my lips, "you can trust me."

"Your boyfriend tried to kill me," she spat. At first I was confused as to who she was talking about, then I remembered that it was Blue.

"You tried to kill him first," I tried and she narrowed her eyes at me. I wanted to tell her that Blue and I weren't really dating, because the idea of it was enough to drive me insane.

Blue was only using me, as was Wren and Desire. Well, I couldn't be sure but I was going to heed Lilith's advice and assume that they were all out to get me. Then there was the whole problem with the elusive they. And there was the fact that I could actually be dying.

Not only that, but no one had told me anything about Harley and very soon I would have both Lilith and Jones asking about him.

And Lincoln was having intercourse with the worst Vampire in the world.

"Alex," Eve rose an eyebrow at me. I looked at her and she frowned. "Are you okay?"

"Fine," I smiled at her. "Have you tried my mother's tiramisu? It's even funner helping her make it."

***

"Hey little sis" Jones grinned at me as he walked through the front door. Right on his tail was one of the twins. By the lack of yelling, I guessed it was Magdalen.

"It's so nice to see you," I rolled my eyes at him. Magdalen gave me a little wave and I smiled at her.

"Where's Lilith?" He asked.

"She went to Gregory County," Eve muttered as she shoved another spoon of tiramisu into her mouth.

"She'll be back in a few days," I told him.

"Is mum at her book club?" He checked.

"No," I answered. "She's gone to the grocery store."

"When is she going to be back?"