02 // TANNING AND TOFFEE APPLES //

I rose a suspicious eyebrow at the extra car parked outside of Lincoln's house. Naturally, the Sherif's patrol car was there, as well as Lincoln's soon-to-be broken hunk of junk. But a new, sleek, black car was there as well.

I knocked on the door three times, then stood back and waited for one of the Parker girls to open the door.

"Alex!" Sherif Pearl beamed as she caught sight of me. Pearl looked a lot like her daughter, the same long dark hair, the same round faces and the same thin lips. But Pearl had wrinkles on her forehead and a small scar on her left cheek from a run in with a wolf in the forest.

"Good morning Sheriff," I smiled back, "is Lincoln home?"

"She sure is," she answered and stepped aside to let me in. I walked down the hall and heard some talking coming from the kitchen. "It's been a while, how was the hospital?"

"Fine," I shrugged and opened the door. Lincoln sat there, laughing, with a man sitting opposite her. He looked young with dirty blonde hair cropped close to his head. "Who is this?"

"Alex," Lincoln said quickly, too quickly. She got to her feet and motioned to the man. "This is Tommen, he's working with the Jenny Hastings case."

"Tom is fine," Tommen smiled and I looked to Lincoln with a smirk. Her eyes hardened and she have my foot a hard kick.

"So, Tom. You work with the FBI?"

"Uh... You could say that."

"Have you seen much of the world?"

"Yeah. I've been to plenty of places. China, Brazil, Australia, America, Germany."

"That's great, that's really really great. See, Lincoln here hasn't ever been out of Northrun. Not even to go to Gregory County."

"Alexander," Sheriff Pearl said sternly and I groaned.

"Okay then Tom," I smiled, "it was nice meeting you, good luck trying to find your criminal."

Lincoln pulled me out of her house roughly, angrily even. I didn't fight it though. If there was one thing that she hated, it was being spoken for and being embarrassed.

I took the lead and hurried to open the front door for Lincoln.

"Thank you," she huffed and I smiled. She might be angry, but she was still polite. We walked up to my room and Lincoln threw herself onto my bed, staring up at the ceiling blankly. I sat on my window seat and looked out.

"Link," I said and she tilted her head back at me, "your weirdly cute boyfriend is leaving."

"Shut up," she rolled her eyes but pulled herself off of the bed and over to the window. I saw her lips twitch up as she watched Tommen get into his car.

"Sorry for talking to him," I apologized, "it won't happen again."

"You're forgiven," she nodded and kept watching Tommen's car until it disappeared at the end of the street.

"Where are all the agents staying?" I asked and peeked over towards the neighbor's house.

"I saw two of them in the grocery store and followed them naturally. They went literally everywhere. To the town hall, to the school, to the bank. They were asking about Jenny and her family. But then they got in their car and drove north. Now, you know what's up north."

"That really creepy used-to-be motel."

"Mhmm. So, I grabbed Jones and told him that you had seen your neighbor and started chasing him down because let's face it, that's way more believable than you fell over and twisted your ankle."