31 // SURPRISES IN THE WOODS

Blue sighed and rested his head on his knuckles.

"I'm tired," I muttered. Blue shrugged and continued staring at me. He had been like this for the past two hours. He wouldn't let me sleep, or eat or have anything to drink. Not until I told him what Kaiser and I had been meeting about.

"I don't understand why you won't tell me," Blue huffed and shook his head at me. "I thought you trusted me."

"I do trust you," I frowned, "it's me that I don't trust. If I tell you, then you're going to be in danger. I don't know what I would do if you died because of me."

"I am in danger whether it's because of you or not," he scoffed. "Alexander, I'm Branded. I get more attention then you and you're the Anchor. Right now, you're the one that's in danger and I can't help you if you won't tell me what is going on."

"I can be brought back," I told him quietly. "If I let him take the Anchor from me, he'll bring me back."

"And you're thinking about it?" He scrunched his nose up and I looked at him in disbelief.

"You're joking right?" I scoffed.

"This isn't a joke Alexander," Blue huffed and got to his feet. "He hasn't had his magic for hundreds of years. The transition will weaken him even further and we can kill him. Okay, you need to come with me. We need to go and talk to Desire."

"No," I shook my head, "you don't understand."

"This is the best news I've heard in the longest time," Blue grinned and if I wasn't so distracted then I wouldn't have been able to breath. Blue started towards the door, then came back to pull me to my feet. He started dragging me towards his bedroom door.

"Blue!" I snapped. He stopped and frowned at me. I felt horrible that he wasn't smiling anymore because of me, but I would feel so much more worse if people died for me. "I can't."

"Why not?" Blue demanded.

"Because in order to bring me back, he has to kill one of my parents, Lincoln and someone else," I mumbled. Blue looked at me, and I wanted to scream in his face because it looked as though he was seriously comparing the options we had. "Blue!"

"What's three lives compared to thousands?" He hissed.

"They matter to me," I spat and yanked my arm out of his grip. "People have already died for me and there is no way that I'm going to let more people die."

"More people are going to d-" he started.

"I watched someone's heart get pulled out right in front of me Blue," I interrupted. "There was a man, he handcuffed himself to me and Kaiser cut his hand off to get to me. Kaiser has been talking to me since the start. I thought I was going insane, and I didn't tell anyone because I thought it was a side effect of being the Anchor. Being the Anchor has destroyed my life Blue. My cousin tried to kill me after being unable to control his Hybrid urges, and my best friend became a god damn Witch. My babysitter was murdered because Kaiser was trying to find me and I had my blood sucked because you were angry at a Vampire! Do I even need to continue?!"

"How did you know that?" Blue asked. "How did you know that the whole Orlando thing was my fault?"

"I... Blue that isn't the point," I mumbled. Blue took a deep breath, and let the conversation go. It looked like my luck was beginning to change, because Blue walked past me and dropped onto his bed. He took another deep breath and then rolled over so that his face was buried in his pillows.

I waited at the door, unsure of what to do. Blue knew that I had his journal, that much I knew. What I didn't know was how he felt about that fact, or if he was too busy trying to work out what to do next.