Chapter 2

"Now, concerning of what I spoke of earlier..."

I looked into Levi's silver-grey eyes, looking for any trace of fear, anxiety, any emotion at all that could possibly convey his current state, but to no avail. To be honest, I was hoping for a bit of anticipation in awaiting my next words, but I was not satisfied. He held the same look he usually did; a blank, emotionless face. Though I will say that in Levi, as much as a wonderful servant he is, it's to be expected.

"There have been many instances in which you have been asked about your past. This I know of from the mouths of those who work here, and even some of our most dignified and renowned guests from previous visits. To my knowledge, you have not spoken a word to answer their questions. Now, is this correct?"

He sat in silence, not answering my question straight away. His eyes did not widen, his body did not move, and not a sound escaped from his lips. It was as if I was speaking to a brick wall. Although, that is a commonality, considering it's more than fair to say he's always like this. But it wouldn't be as common to be able to say that, for an instant, his eyes seemed to hold something unmatchable to anything I've ever seen. Not as good as I'd hoped, but better than the usual display.

"That is correct, Your Highness. Is there any particular problem you have about this?"

I let out a rather loud sigh as I reclined into the comfortable couch I sat it, letting my head position itself so that it faces the ceiling, as well as letting my eyes close. I fully expected a response similar to what he gave, and was quite disappointed. He always seems monotonous when he speaks, no matter the situation, no matter whom he's in front of, no matter how he feels, given he feels anything at all.

"No, no, I don't have a problem with your refusal to answer, despite how sarcastic I now realize I sound. Though I do have a problem on my hands."

I knew exactly what he was going to say next. It would sound something like this; "Well, I apologize that you're struggling with something, but I'm sure you can work it out on your own, Your Highness. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have something I must attend to. Shall I take the tea cart with me as I go, or would you prefer to have some more tea?" I don't think there's much else that would come out of his mouth in this situa-

"May I ask what that problem might be, Your Highness?"

My whole body shot upright in surprise, my eyes widening as well. My servant, Levi, the cold, dark, and mysterious man who couldn't care less about anyone's feelings nor hardships, just told me he wanted to know what was bothering me? I felt like hailing a nurse to check his vitals in case he was deliriously spewing nonsense.

"You honestly want to know? I thought you didn't care about anyone. Color me surprised, to see you show interest in anybody's personal life."

I knew what I said sounded extremely insulting the moment it left my mouth. I cringed internally, waiting for an ice cold glare directed towards me, but instead, a small sigh escaped his slightly parted lips. Though he did look me in the eyes, his gaze wasn't full of rage, anger, or even bitterness. Rather, an almost barely recognizable look of disappointment took it's place.

"Of course. You are the prince, and I am your servant. I understand it's rude of me to disregard other's problems, but towards you, it's ten times more so. Please don't assume I simply don't care about or for anyone."

For the first time in my entire reign as prince, with the exception of once, I could hear the hurt in his voice. He sounded somewhat broken, and the only thing that hurt more than the fact that this was so was the fact that I was the one who caused it. I lowered my head at the man before me. I was raised in an environment in which there were only two reasons royalty bowed their heads to anyone. Firstly, to show apologetic sincerity, or secondly, to show divine loyalty. In this case, both reasons were present, in a sense.