Chapter 37

Slowly, Isabel and I entered the prince's study. For seemingly unknown reasons, if any, we entered hesitantly. Maybe it was because we were afraid of the beast possibly in the room. But no matter what the reason was, we acted as if we could lose our lives at any given moment, under any given circumstances.

Unfortunately, that was the grim reality.

I saw what was so familiar around me; the map of the world on the back wall, littered with pushpins on important locations, be it for trade centers or resources; the bookshelf along the left wall, armed with nothing short of a plethora of knowledge encased in leather chambers; the wooden desk that lie in the center of the room, still littered with documents illuminated under the lamp; the two couches facing each other towards the right wall, with a glass table to separate them; it was quite a scene to behold after such an extended period of leave.

What irked me, however, was how everything seemed neat and orderly, too much so. It was as if someone had been through the room every day just to make sure not a thing was out of place, not a speck of dust was seen. One might even say it were as if it were a photo, never to be altered. As the thought entered my mind, I recalled how the study looked before I left, and to my horror, everything had remained the same except for one small thing; the teacart.

The Earl Grey tea I prepared for him during our final meeting up until this point had disappeared from the room. Why I was so concerned as to why, even with everything else still in it's place, I had not a clue.

After what felt like an eternity of gawking at the old memories packed into the room I once traversed daily, I felt a sharp prod in my shoulder, and was unsurprised to see it was because of Isabel. She quickly informed me of the obvious, which was what was in the room. However, what was also supposed to be just as obvious had slipped my mind and my vision.

"There's also a violin on the glass table over there... It's not even in it's case! I wonder why..."

When she said this, my vision was naturally dragged to the table, which, as stated, held the violin my prince loved so dearly. It's case lay open on one of the couches, it's bow next to the instrument. I approached it with intentions unknown. I extended my hand towards it, only to be interrupted by the opening of the study door that, apparently, had been closed by Isabel.

"What's this? In the prince's study already? What a surprise... if only those words were true!"

The two of us quickly turned around, myself jerking my hand back to my side. Isabel instantly cowered in fear while I braced myself for a fight. The beast was before us. However, he was leaned against the doorframe, his arms folded, his gaze playful. He seemed utterly ill-prepared for any type of quarrel. So, in response, I stupidly lowered my guard, unknowing of whether or not I was setting myself up for disaster and/or sudden death.

"You two have become so predictable. I mean, come on! I heard almost every word you've spoken whilst in this manor, and yet I could figure out what you were doing without needing a spoken confirmation! I tell you, it's simple to read you two... especially you, Ackerman."

In an instant, he was right in front of me, his index finger on my chest in a pointing gesture. I tensed, tightening my fists in case I felt the need to throw a punch. He simply smirked as he continued speaking in his dangerously playful tone.

"You, the prince's servant, who so dearly cares for his wellbeing. You don't go a day without conversing with him, fetching something for him, and giving advice to him for some upcoming event or personal struggle. I'm sure there were some things you wanted to say to him before you ran away like a coward months ago, hm?"

My eyes widened in surprise at the information being thrown at me. In no way did I expect this beast to know what he apparently did, but it was evident that I was incorrect in my assumption. Of course, the logical explanation was that he forced the information out of the prince at an earlier time. Merely thinking of the prince reminded me of an obvious question that I desperately craved the answer to.