Chapter 31

"Come on! We have to hurry!"

The final day was slipping away as the afternoon sky slowly shifted into dusk. Minutes earlier, Isabel caught a whiff of a faint scent, and it belonged to the beast. Our focus was devoted to working every muscle in our body to make the deadline. However, as we ran, I caught a few looks at the girl's face, and her mood was ever darkening. Many times I wanted to ask what plagued her, but I knew better.

Surprisingly, there was no discreetness in the scent trail, according to Isabel. There were no winding turns, no sharp diversions, but rather... it was a beeline. It's almost as if he didn't care about hiding himself from us, like he was ready to face us. Whether facing us meant killing or sparing us was something I had no idea of.

We took turns encouraging each other to run faster, to push ourselves further. Whether slippery terrain fouled our footsteps or dead and barren logs lay in our path, we told ourselves to proceed, to never hesitate, to find a way. Both of us knew what lay at the end of the trail, and we were ready for what was to come. It was perfect timing as well, if you could call it that; we'd exhausted all of our food and had almost resorted to hunting.

It was unspoken, but we knew that we were less that a minute away from him. She knew by scent, I knew by instinct. Something was welling inside of me. Was it determination to run further? Was it courage to stand up to the damned beast? Was it joy to finally see my prince again? Was it dread in knowing I may be too late?

Another moment of thinking, and I'd have lost myself to doubt and insecurity, but I was stopped before it could happen. I'd lost my concentration, but Isabel brought me back with a sharp nudge. We'd stopped; I barely realized it. Sharply glancing at her, I noticed her eyes were set in the trees. I mimicked her, and my eyes widened at what my gaze had landed on.

He, in all of his false glory, was sitting atop a tree with the most patient and kind look I'd ever seen on a person. Part of me had been convinced he was actually human based on his look alone, but I kept a level head. This thing was a beast. He likely couldn't express such emotions, and it was a mere charade.

Isabel was looking at him with confusion clouding her thoughts. It was likely for the same reason as I was, but I saw something else in her. Earlier, as we had ran, I saw that feeling. I could see, etched into her irises, was a look of terror. Opening my mouth to inquire her, I went to step towards the girl, but a terrified yell pierced the air. Not having my ears practically split open would have sufficed, but her trembling words answered my question.

"The prince is nowhere in sight, and you're covered in blood! What the hell have you done to him?!"

The words that left her mouth surprised me, but I did a double take when they registered in my head. She was right. Blood was spattered all over him, and his lips and teeth were bloodstained Upon scanning the vicinity, I saw nobody but us three. Only us were anywhere visible, and there were no signs of a second person every being introduced into the area.

As the sky darkened, I sank to the ground, on my knees. A few seconds later, my arms were forced to hold my weight as the top part of my body seemed to try to throw itself onto the ground. I lay hunched over like an animal as my loss registered in my mind. There was only one plausible explanation for this situation, and I couldn't deny it.

I'd lost the one I cared most about... the damn beast devoured him.

My mind swirled, and I couldn't think about anything but what was at hand. The deadline had been met, we made it on time, on the last day... and yet we failed? How could such a thing be possible? He gave me his word when he said he wouldn't harm him if I found him in two months. I did just that, and yet the prince is gone, and the beast is covered in his blood.

However, I failed to notice the look of surprise on his face. While I lay in my slightly comatose state, he was looking frantically at his clothing, at the crimson liquid that saturated it. He growled, and it was then my eyes snapped up to meet his, angry and... anxious? He couldn't have been.

"Damn, this looks bad... I realize that. But it's not what you think, I swear on my life. Days earlier, I was forced to feed on nearby villagers. They haven't been able to find me yet, and I'm surprised. I've made no efforts to wash the blood from my garments, but I now realize it was a shitty idea. Your prince is safe, I assure you."

"Then why isn't he here?! If he's 'safe', then where the fuck is he if he isn't here?!"

The words left my mouth before I could think. I'd gotten to my feet and shouted at him. Angering the beast further than he visibly was only could bring me down, possibly for good, and yet I couldn't stop myself. But rather than cowering and apologizing, I bit my lip until it bled and stood my ground. He soon retorted, but I could tell he wasn't confident.

"He's in a place where no soul could harm him. With a killer such as myself running around, what would you do if he were accused and killed by men more vicious than I? Then I'd lose my life as well as his, and that isn't exactly something I desire."

What the hell? He talks as if I were physically capable of slaying him rather than the other way around. I can't kill him, though I'd love to believe it, so what in all the world could trump his power? But I said nothing about it.

"Then I demand you to take me to him!"

That was when his confidence seemed to plummet. He looked defeated, and I was enraged. If he was looking as if he lost, it could only mean he was lying to me, and the prince is dead. But rather than cry about it, which I would have likely done moments ago, I was bristling with rage. I allowed him no time to account for his expression.

"You bastard! You lying, thieving, conniving bastard! You fucking lied to me! He's in your gut, isn't he? You assaulted him, murdered him, and then happily devoured him! You're only telling me these things to attempt to cover your ass and make you feel better about your sins, but it's feeble. I wish, with all of my heart and soul, that I could best you. But I know I cannot. I accept defeat when I am outmatched. I hope you burn in hell!"

I turned to walk away. All of what I said was true, and I wouldn't have it any other way. For a moment, a thought crossed my mind, and I wondered if he could slay me while my back was turned. However, the blow never came, and instead, I heard him speak. He sounded grim and monotonous. It was as if his soul, if he even had one, was sucked out of him.

"You refuse to fight for your prince. You accept that he is gone when he is not. I cannot forgive you, but I know he would... which is why I ask you this; go back to the manor, you petty servant. He waits for you there. Do not be afraid to return. Those who are there will welcome you with open arms. However, they will not tell you where he is, nor will they hunt me down. Use your head if you want to find him. He is safe from death, I assure you."

I'd frozen where I stood when he began to speak, but I listened intently. After he finished, I wanted to say something. What would have come out of my mouth, I don't know, because he was gone when I turned to face him.

Was he... gone? For good?

I certainly hoped so.

"Come on, Isabel. Let's go."

And with that, we were off into the night.