Chapter 3

"There's only one thing left for me to be told."

The moment the words left my mouth, Levi cringed, shuddering slightly. He knew exactly what I meant by my statement. He knew, and he didn't want to say it. He's been avoiding this topic ever since I brought him to the manor in the first place. Every time anyone would ask, even whenever I asked, he would keep his mouth shut or say something to save his skin, though usually terribly. Despite this, I wasn't giving up without a fight. Verbally, of course.

"Your Highness..."

He shifted uncomfortably in his spot on the couch, a slight look of worry streaked across his face. He remained silent afterwards, not even looking me in the eye. I set down my cup of tea that I hadn't realized I was still holding on the table and crossed my arms, giving him a small glare. Like I said, I knew this is how he'd react. That didn't mean that's how I wanted him to react.

Honestly, I wish he would be more open with me... He treats me like everyone else, with the exceptions of showing slight emotion and bestowing upon me a grander title, which should be apparent anyway. He never once has said anything that would even remotely hint at how his life was before he met me, before he came to the castle.

"Levi, we've been through this conversation on multiple occasions, but I have yet to hear anything of your past. I refuse to order you to speak it, as I want you to come to me and tell me on your own time, but my patience is wearing thin, and you know how impatient I can be at times."

Though my reason for being unwilling to simply order him to tell me was true, it was only one half. The other half, the half he and the rest of the manor don't know about, is that I fear hearing nothing upon the order. Normally, I would get angry and have the man who refused to follow orders to leave me and my line of sight, and that's what scares me. If I were to do something like that to Levi, the fragile and delicate trust we have in each other will surely be torn apart, and I don't want that.

Levi again shifted on the couch, now looking quite uncomfortable. In all honesty, I was surprised to see him still here trying to brave through the situation. I'm not calling him a coward, but I do say that when faced with an uncomfortable situation, though mainly this pertains to a person, he merely slips out a statement concerning the matter that doesn't quite answer the question and leaves.

"Your Highness, I don't feel comfortable with answering the question presented... Would it be alright to retain the information in my mind and not have it spoken out to the public?"

I was surprised even further at hearing this. He came out and told me, upfront, how he felt about talking about his past? Not once in my life had I heard him do say anything like this, and so emotionally. Was the crystal case that held his heart in confinement finally beginning to be shattered, though it be merely one crack at a time? I certainly hoped so.

"I'm surprised in you, Levi... I did not expect to receive such information from you of your own free will. Has something gotten into your meal today? Surely something has for you to speak so freely of your feelings."

And now for the part that I fully expected to happen and what I was unsurprised to see. Levi looked at me as though his eyes were daggers, and I their target. He was furious with me because I taunted and teased him, though I'm not sure he understood the taunted and teasing part. It didn't mean for it to sound as if I was genuinely insulting him. Rather, I meant it as a light joke about his personality, which, now that I think about it, doesn't sound all to good either.

I chuckled as I spoke my next words. "I jest, I jest, I assure you. I apologize if my words have hurt your pride. Please, don't give me such a look."

He seemed to calm down at this, but I still could feel his anger swelling in his chest. What I said was rude and hurtful, and I knew this, though sadly after the fact. What I could do to help ease his heart, I know not, but possibly I could get started.

I stood, setting my teacup on the tea cart after finishing off the contents. I then made my way over to my desk. I looked around for the place I'd left what I desired and soon found it. Removing it from it's coffin of a case, I grabbed the neck of it with my left hand and the bow with my right. I knew well that Levi was not too fond of music, but if I discovered the right piece to play, maybe it could soothe him. Even if I could elicit a short while of relaxation, and possibly even happiness, it would bring me joy to no end.

I soon recalled a song taught to me when I was but a small child by my late father. He had not shown me how to play it, for I was too young, but he played it so often that it had the same effect of him simply teaching it to me, for when I started learning how to play the violin, that song was the first I taught myself to play. The notes came to me so smoothly it was as if the song came from my memories rather than the violin or my voice. Never once had I stumbled when playing the beautiful song, and I was eager for that to continue, as I was going to play this song for Levi.

"Why would he even remotely enjoy this song in particular", you might ask. The answer is simple.

It was the first song he heard me play when he joined the staff here at the manor, and he told me himself, though young he was, that he had fallen in love with the song through and through, from the first note to the last. He'd often beg me to play it, and I would oblige, but after not four months, he did not speak of the song at all, and I, from then on, refused to play it.

Now it's time for me to remember my favorite part of my childhood... and make him remember his.