Chapter 27

I scratched a small tally mark onto my arm. It had become part of my daily routine; Wake up, mark the day that went by, roam around, find food, wash in the river. That was what all my days consisted of, how they've all been for... I counted the marks on my arm. Twenty-eight. It's been almost a month now, and I've found no evidence of that damned beast.

Soon enough, roaming to other villages and begging for things became customary. Every village I passed by, I barged in and fell on my knees, pleading with the people for food and shelter. They all turned a blind eye to me. I would always get the hint, and I would always leave, sulking, starving, and freezing.

Fleeting thoughts passed by every day, and they haunted me. What if I would never find them in time? What if this beast has already murdered the two closest to me? What will happen when I return to the manor on my own? Will I be executed? Will I be exiled?

Nightmares would find their way into my head every night. Because of this, I stopped sleeping. It wasn't too difficult a task, but I didn't enjoy the feeling of always being sluggish. Of course, I always had the presence of mind to know that I would definitely prefer staying awake over falling asleep and letting unspeakable horrors have me in their clutches. I even became immune to sleep deprivation, so I never ended up collapsing from lack of sleep.

I know it's a weight off my shoulders to never have to sleep. Sleep is the straightaway to a person's demise, and so if you were to eliminate that, you were invincible! This excludes the forces of nature, obviously. It was common sense that everything dies, and that there was no reward for staying alive the longest. You would simply die because your body couldn't keep up anymore.

Was there any deficit to always being alert? It enabled you to outwit those around you. You didn't have to let your guard down for any reason, and so you were always on top of those who challenged you. Be it human or animal, nothing could stand up to you if it would eventually tire.

Realizing I was letting my thoughts run away with themselves, I shook my head. I surveyed my surroundings. To my surprise, I saw small patches of green littering the snowy white ground, and it brought a slight smile to my face. The harsh winter was finally starting to end...

Reveling in the sight of the grass poking up from the powder-like snow, I set what little I had on the ground and eased myself into the green beauty. I looked around me and my small smile widened. I never really had an appreciation for nature before, but I began to take a liking to it after it was all I was surrounded by for multiple months.

Ah, I sound like a babbling idiot.

Tearing myself away from my small spot of joy, I reclaimed my stuff, and was on my way before I had time to miss it.

* * * * * *

Why did I even bother coming back here? Who knows what will happen...

I sighed as I stood in the oh-so-familiar village I was in a month prior to now, in front of the woman that so kindly gave me everything I needed and more to sustain myself. The cottage was in good shape. Then again, what could have happened in only a month's time?

Regaining my composure, I knocked on the door. To my dismay, however, there was no answer. It was possible that she was ignoring me, taken in by the lies of the people. Again, I knocked, and again, there was no answer. This train of knocking, waiting, and disappointment spanned for a solid ten minutes before I finally got angry enough to barge in.

Taking hold of the doorknob, I turned it and entered.

"Hanji! Damn it, where the fuck are you?!"

Silence gripped the cottage I knew and loved, and I began to worry. I frantically searched the house, hoping to find her asleep, but to no avail. When I realized she wasn't present, I sighed at my idiocy, but couldn't help but get anxious. The door had been unlocked, and I was able to come in easily. Why? Tell me something hasn't happened to her...

Sitting at the table, I rest my head in my hands. Thoughts of what could have happened to the kind woman seeped into my mind like wildfire, and it troubled me.

After what seemed like an eternity, I lifted my head, only to find a piece of parchment before me. I hadn't noticed it upon arrival, but something told me it was always there and I simply failed to notice it. Picking it up, I began to read it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To Sir Levi Ackerman,

How are you? It's Hanji. I hope you've been doing well in your travels. I've learned much about the beast you chase, about your prince, and you yourself. It seems impossible, to learn even more about you, but we all learn new things every once in a while, don't we?

I've left the fridge and pantries fully stocked, and there's firewood in case you want to start a fire in the fireplace. You're free to take whatever you like, whatever you need. I know you're probably wondering when I'll be back... but I won't. I've gone to live elsewhere. But don't worry... you'll see me again soon, I promise.

You know... now that I think of it, I haven't sold this old thing yet. How would you like to have it? I'm sure I don't need to ask. So, as of now, this place is yours. Think of it as a home away from home. Who knows? You may find something you didn't expect in this house.

I can't tell you where I'm at yet, but you'll know in time. And, I'm sorry, but I can't give away any information I've learned. Of course, that's what the people who nearly arrested me said. But who said I had to listen to them?

As not to spoil things, I'll only tell you this.

When you finally end your journey, when you finally confront this beast for the last time, don't senselessly murder it like it did to many before. I know how you are, and that you would want to do so. But... trust me, Levi. You'll be thankful you left him alive.

I wish you and Prince Jaeger the best of luck.

-Hanji Zoe