Chapter 44

[A/N] Edit: Well, I can't tag you, but you know who you are! It was brought to my attention that I named this Chapter 43, without realizing it was supposed be 44. 😂 😂 Sorry about that! I was half asleep. Let's hope there's no insane errors in the second half. Now, to the original A/N!

~~~~

Ah, yes, our lovely Aryan Coconut gets a POV of his own! (But for real, have I already done an Armin's POV chapter, I feel like I did but I totally forgot) Tbh though I still have no idea what to do, so here's to another total bs chapter. Btw, thanks to all of you guys that said in the last chapter that my chapter(s) weren't total crap, I really appreciate it. It just irks me that I can't seem to get a good chapter (by my standards, at least) published, and in a timely manner. Once again, this is likely going to be short, so I apologize for that. Maybe not, though, I won't know until I'm done.

So... yeah. And by the way, have I ever mentioned that I am total Undertale trash? I really ammmm. Like, for real, I'm so obsessed it's probably unhealthy. I've done a few drawings, and by that, I mean taking a picture on my phone and drawing it in my sketchbook as perfectly as I can. I've currently got a Frisk X sans X PAPYRUS X Toriel X King Asgore X Undyne X Muffet X Flowey horrendous mashup that I drew, copying a picture I found, and it's totally insane. I want to show you guys, but should I publish another story to do so or just make a separate chapter? Keep in mind I totally have been thinking about an Undertale fic, I want you guys' opinion on that too.

Sorry to keep distracting everyone, myself included, from this chapter. Happy reading! (Hopefully.)

~~~~~~~~~~~

I sighed in exasperation as the High Council and I sat at the round table. A few others separate from the council were there with me; namely Ms. Zoe and Oulo, trying not to glare daggers into each other, and a couple guards that were on my side in the current debate. We were discussing the punishments for Levi Ackerman and prince Eren Jaeger. Their crimes were nothing we could look over, as much as I regretted saying it. And... well, discussing is hardly the word I could use to describe the situation.

"After all that happened, after the deaths of innocent civilians, not to mention His Majesty's servant abandoned the prince and therefore his duty, how can you people still say that there should be no punishment?! Saying so is the equivalent of committing heresy!"

Saying I was tired of listening to them was an understatement. Possibly incorrect entirely, given the imprecise word choice, but needless to say, I wished desperately for peace and quiet. In my mind, the answers were simple. And yet, amazingly, few people seemed to understand it. I felt as if I was voicing my opinions a thousand times or more, and I had only been in the room for a mere ten minutes.

"I've said this multiple times now; his genetics are not his fault. His mother and father were cursed with this horrid disease of a problem, and they accepted and acted upon it. They knew how to control their urges, but nevertheless used them to kill people. Yes, they did so in a... reasonable manner. Their victims were criminals who needed to be punished for their crimes, but what they did was wrong, and they knew it.

"In the prince's case, he was unaware of his own genetic fault for most of his life. He only learned of it after it had already occurred. Possibly sooner, if my knowledge fails me, but he didn't know how to access nor control or contain it. He's been thrown into something he doesn't want to be in, and I know for a fact that, had I been in his shoes, I wouldn't have been able to bear the weight of what I'd done.

"Even I don't know what to do about the occurrences. Yes, I believe it's wrong that innocent people were killed, and that the actions should be punished. But to try and do this to the prince, the last heir to the throne, who doesn't know how to control his form... It's not right. But doing something as severe as killing him is not an option. We cannot treat him as an average criminal, though I hate to call him one."

I secretly willed those around me to back me up, but the two most important assets that were on my side were too busy glaring bullets into each other to say anything. The guards wouldn't say anything; they were only with me because they believed the accused should have no punishment. They hadn't even really formed an opinionative argument.

Before I could sigh and continue my spiel, I was interrupted by the head of the High Council. Which, in my personal opinion at the moment, looked like nothing more than a pack of asses.

"Alright, then let's disregard His Majesty for a moment and talk his servant. Levi Ackerman, directly serving the prince due His Majesty's request... his crimes are, in fact, punishable. He allowed what little emotions he has to take over, and ultimately caused him to leave his duty as a servant behind. Not to mention the fact that he is to blame for His Majesty not only getting hurt, but transforming into a beast that has no regrets in devouring his own people! Since he is no form of royalty, we, as the High Council, ought to have him executed for his treason!"

Thankfully, Ms. Zoe decided to speak up so that I didn't have to. I knew for a fact that she understood my argument well, and that she could speak as if it were her speaking the entire time rather than I. While she stood, I took a seat, and Oulo was grumbling to himself. Likely because he no longer had the woman to stare ruefully at.

"You don't seem to understand just what your job is. It's come to my attention that the High Council's job is to take responsibility of the prince, and the prince alone. It's your job to advise his decisions and, if absolutely necessary, to take control of any form of punishment due to a crime he has committed. Now, since when was it that you had control over anyone else?"

They seemed silent, for the most part. The more she spoke, the more uncomfortable they visibly became. And, in my opinion, it was rightly so, because she was correct. They ought to see their fault as a whole. But I knew she would explain that to them just fine.

"I didn't think so. None of you have any right to do anything to Levi Ackerman. He is under direct control of the prince, and so the prince will be the only one to decide his fate, be it harmless or life-threatening. Having said this, however, the prince's punishment can and will be decided by you. But I would like to remind you, once again, that there is nobody capable to taking over the throne, should something threaten his life. There will be utter chaos in our country, and you all know this well. So, now that I've given my two cents, I'll let you decide what the prince's fate will be."

The looks on their faces were priceless. They seemed like a frightened herd of sheep who were up against a mighty wolf, who was ready to devour them. It almost damaged my masculinity... I said almost because I could openly admit I really didn't have any.

And so the High Council members all took their seats, as did Ms. Zoe, and murmured amongst themselves about what their next move would be. By the amount of time they took to discuss the issue, I could confidently say they were taking it seriously and had a hard decision to make. Of course, it certainly was. I knew I was thinking about it as well; 'Would it be better to leave him, the only person fit to rule, unscathed? Or should we punish him as we would any other criminal, by death?'

After a considerable amount of time passed, the head of the High Council cleared his throat almost worriedly and shifted his gaze to meet mine. His green eyes seemed to be nowhere near as piercing as I perceived my blue ones to be.

"We... as the High Council... have decided that it would be best... to overlook what has been done... to ensure the continued stability and safety of the country of Germany. However... should something like this happen again, while he seems to be aware of his own nature... we will not hesitate to take matters into our own hands... and stop this, once and for all."

He spoke hesitantly, as if he was unsure of the words that left his lips. But I was content. A small smile crept it's way to my lips, and I spoke quietly to myself as everyone dismissed themselves.

"Heh... Prince Jaeger will be pleased to hear that his life is being spared, even after what he's done..."

And thus, I took my leave, eagerly awaiting the prince's eventual awakening.