Chapter 25

The look in her eyes was a mix of many things. Joy, assurance, hope... For once, I was pleasing to see it. I smiled, not even caring about my jagged and likely bloodstained teeth, hoping she would finally understand.

"Prince Jaeger...?! Is it really you?!"

Her words came as whispers, which I was thankful for. I had no idea how loud she could really be, so having her keep quiet was a great relief. I nodded at her inquiry, my eyes locked onto hers. I wanted to gain her trust. I couldn't afford it if she were to not trust me and ruin this whole idea of my servant coming and finding me.

As I thought more on it, I realized just how twisted my actions were. I threatened to kill the fox girl "and the prince" if he didn't find us in time. He doesn't know that it's me... what if he really doesn't find us in time? What will I do then? I'll be forced to murder the fox girl, and then... what? What will that mean for me? Will I always have to stay in this wretched form in fear of showing my true identity, causing Levi to likely loathe my existence for multiple reasons?

I couldn't do it. Having to constantly run for my life, hiding in the shadows, feeding on my beloved people... I didn't want to be as wretched as my parents were. I wanted to be better. But now that I'm in this mess, the moment I revert to my human form, the manorial system will know that I'm to blame and execute me on the spot. They'll likely make my secretary heir and Levi... well, he may be executed too, for abandoning me. I didn't know if that was something they could really do, but I wouldn't put it past anyone at this point.

I don't want to be the reason Levi and his friend are executed... I don't want to be the reason Germany goes down into an economic crisis or something... I-

"Um... Prince... you're crying..."

Jolting at her words, I looked back up at her. My gaze had fallen to the floor, and she had been right; I could feel tears streaming down my face, making it damp. My eyes burned, and the ground beneath me was somewhat sodden.

"A-Ah, I see... well, it... it doesn't matter."

I stood and turned away from her, my previous thoughts still on my mind. I hated anybody seeing me cry, and now that I took the form of a beast, it was more so now than ever. Being weak was something I despised.

"Listen... fox girl... I don't think I ever got your name. If I did, I don't remember it. So what is your name?"

There was silence for a good while. Speaking, leaving, and turning around were out of the question. I was going to wait and get her name. It was the least amount of courtesy I could show her, given the circumstances. After what seemed like hours, but was likely only seconds, she responded.

"...Isabel. My name is Isabel."

"Isabel..."

I let the name roll off my tongue, and for some odd reason, it seemed familiar. Unfortunately, I couldn't think of why for the life of me. Pondering the newfound thought, I recalled my childhood, my early childhood. Nothing came to mind, not a single event or person carrying the name Isabel. I sighed, dropping the subject before she got confused again.

"Well, Isabel... I have something to tell you. I'm only going to say this once, so you better listen carefully. I don't know that I'm making the correct decision, so it'd be for the best that you act before I come to regret it. Got it?"

Immediately came my answer, a small noise of recognition. I pondered the thought I harbored, making sure it was what I wanted to do. Whether or not I could trust her to carry out the task correctly was something beyond me, but all I could do at this point was hope. Otherwise, it would be a long and excruciating two months.

"Isabel... from this point on, you are free to go. Know that harm will not come your way if Levi fails his set duty. Also know that he will also remain alive in the event of failure. However, you are not to speak a word of these things to him. Only after this issue is resolved can you reveal your knowledge. And, in case this wasn't obvious enough, you are forbidden to inform him of who I really am. You are, however, permitted to conjure up any story you like to ensure that this information stay concealed.

"I trust that you will do well in your task, and I pray that I am not wrong in doing so. I wish I could aid you in finding him, but I cannot, in fear of being caught and confronted. You may lead him to this place, because by then, I will have relocated. Now, go. And don't get caught red-handed."

As expected, freedom came with speechlessness. It was a full minute or so before she began to move. I heard her stand, then adjust her apparel. Suddenly, out of nowhere, I felt her arms wrap around my waist and her body right behind mine. I flinched in surprise, but she ignored it, speaking rather than letting me go. Her voice came out in a whisper.

"Thank you, Prince. As much as it hurts me to have to endure Levi's struggles, I promise that I won't tell him anything. I hope that, one day, you two can go on living happily back at the manor, like before... Maybe even better than before."

I swiveled around to face her, but she had already released me and was walking the opposite direction, towards the mouth of the cave and, eventually, to Levi. I shut my mouth as I watched her go, and I saw for the first time just how strong she was. Sure, she was frightened easily, and she didn't have the best physical strength, but emotionally, she was a powerhouse. Even in all of this, she had the ability to stand strong, take things head-on, even though she didn't want to. She could turn things around so that they benefited her. She could make the most out of every bad situation...

So why couldn't I?