Chapter Ten

Scarlett's P.O.V:

The day at the hospital with Hayden was eventful. I told him about me, he told me about him. I was successful in not telling him about my secret. Although it was moments away from coming out.

I wanted to tell him. I wanted him to know that I am not the one who he thinks I am. I knew that if I told him, he'd probably choose to ignore me and hang out with people who are close to his standard.

If I told him I was poor, he'd leave me. He'd leave me and I don't want that to happen. At first I did. I didn't want to be his friend because then it would be hard for me to keep my secret from him.

And that's exactly what happened. It's getting difficult day by day to keep it to myself.

I want someone who I can share this with, someone with whom I could talk about Hayden. I can't share this with Haley or even Rose. Especially not my mother.

Hayden was still in the hospital. He had managed to recover from most of his injuries but his leg still wasn't working properly.

College was the same as before. Only thing was that our exams were going on. Hayden didn't come to college. He decide that he'd give the exam in the hospital. I don't know how he managed to do that. But that's the good thing about being rich.

You can do anything you want. You can get anything you want. You can be anything you want. You'll have everything you want. Every desire, every dream; all will come true by just a snap of fingers.

Being poor? That's exactly the same as being judged, being ignored, being glared or stared at, being pitied, being frowned upon. Not having any freedom, no power to act the way you want without any restraint. Being ordered around.

It was the weekend. Not an exciting one though. Just another day with parents discussing their problems with one another, talking about financial crisis, need for money.

They talk about it all the time. And it doesn't help when them when they have a rebellious son.

Our family isn't like any other. Us siblings constantly fight over the silliest matters. Our parents trying to find ways to get more money.

To help them I applied for a job as a waitress. I thank God that I don't have to clean the toilets. All I have to do is to take orders and serve them.

The restaurant I had applied for is one of the most fanciest ones here. They served spectacular food of absolutely amazing quality. I had a taste of the Chefs' work once. It felt like heaven, fireworks exploding in my mouth.

Or was it because I never had even a glimpse of such fancy food?  

I also had a good look at the prices on the menu there. Even the price of a simple drink made my eyes pop out. It created a big lump in my throat.

How can people afford this?

Do they even know how much this costs? Do they know how people beg to have such riches?