Chapter Twenty Six (Part 2)

Scarlett's P.O.V:

"Are we there yet?"

"No."

". . .What about now?"

"No."

"No?"

"No."

This conversation has been going on for more then ten minutes. Hayden was still grumpy, even after our confessing he likes me and I, him. A ghost of a smile crept over his lips but it soon vanished as I mentioned how I found the Veronica feud funny. I shouldn't have mentioned it because it doesn't seem like he's coming back to normal anytime soon. . .

The car came to a stop as Hayden applied the brakes. He unbuckled his seatbelt and got out of the car; as did I. We had stopped in front of a vast plain of grass. The whole scene looked like it was out of a painting. Most paintings contain more colours and objects. If I did have the utensils to paint it with, I would never do any sort of additions. It would ruin the picture of a 'plain green' field.

There were no flowers in sight; a few trees though. Hayden opened the backdoor and took out a basket. A picnic basket to be exact.

"I haven't done this in a long time!" I exclaimed. It was true, it had been three or four ears since I went to a picnic. With my parents both busy with their jobs and now, my father lying in bed, sick, we didn't have time for family outings. Hayden set the basket on the ground and shut the door. His eyes squinted shut as the sun reached them and immediately put a hand in front of his eyes. Thankfully, winter was coming to an end.

I followed him on the grassy pathway as he made his way under a tree nearby. Setting the blanket and the basket, he sat down while motioning me to sit with him. He rested his back against the tree and opened the basket but with a sudden move of his hand, closed it, "You have to guess what's in there."

Is he being serious? I crossed my arms on my chest and raised an eyebrow but he only smiled widely in return. Well, it's a good thing he isn't in a sour mood anymore. I smiled back and sat down next to him, "Alright. But you're supposed to give me a hint."

He nodded, "It's sweet and salty." My brows furrowed in confusion. Something sweet and salty at the same time? He smirked knowingly, as if he was sure that I didn't know the answer.

"A pretzel?" That's the only sweet yet salty thing I could come up with. That must be it! If not then I don't know what is.

"Yes. . ." I smiled widely at this, "But no." And my smile dropped. He chuckled and opened the basket, still not letting me see what's inside, "You would be amazed by this."

I tried to peek but he had his huge arms wrapped around the basket. I eventually gave up. My confusion only increased when I saw him take out a bottle of juice. I was about to ask him but then he took out that 'sweet and salty' thing.

Cupcakes with fries.

"Are you kidding me?" I slapped my forehead and felt annoyed at his stupidity. What the hell is wrong with him? "Did you hit your head? Or were you like this since the start?" He dipped a fry in the icing and ate it.

"I'm perfectly fine. You have to try this!" He took another bite but this time, with three fries. He must've noticed me looking at him as his gaze went up to my face. He held a fry with vanilla icing infront of me, slowly moving it towards my mouth. I sighed and let him feed me. It was actually quite good. Not extremely good or extremely bad. It was alright.

With a nod of my head and a quite 'mhm' I took another icing covered fry and popped it in my mouth. He opened the bottle of juice and poured it in a glass for the both of us. When I asked for a separate one all he said was that, "Sharing is caring." I laughed and took a sip. We both sat in the warm sun eating and talking. . . and stealing a few kisses.

It took us a few hours to get back home. With him dropping me off at Haleys and driving back home, night reached early. I knew as soon as I stepped inside, everyone would start asking me where I had been. And that's exactly what happened.

"Where've you been?" My mother and David asked simultaneously.

I sighed and shut the door, stepping out of my shoes, "I was at Haleys."

"You should've told me first." Ma scolded. I nodded and went to my room. I made myself comfortable in my bed, exhaustion taking over me but I couldn't sleep because of one thing playing in my head over and over again.

Lying on the grass under the warm sun was so comfortable that I could even fall asleep here! My head rested on Hayden's chest, hearing his beating heart when he randomly started, "What would you do if you realise that all you've ever loved was just a lie?"

My eyes opened on their own accord and I lifted my head up to see him clearly. My hand touched his cheek in a comforting way, "What's wrong?"

"I just hate liars." And I've been lying to him this whole time.

-----

Finally wrote this one! Thanks for reading and please vote! I don't have anything to say right now...

Love you guys!

xMagicLollipops