Chapter Thirteen

Scarlett's P.O.V:

"Why didn't you tell me?" I sniffed and wiped the stray tears but they just kept falling and falling.

"I'm sorry lovey." He wiped my tears with his thumb.

"Sorry? Dad sorry won't make you better!" I argued, "Why did you even start smoking?"

"I-" Dad sighed, "I'm sorry. I don't know why. I was just... tensed."

"For what exactly?" I questioned. Why would he be tense when there was no tension?

"Sweetheart, you're growing up. You have needs I can't fulfil, David is not studying, he doesn't have a proper job neither do I." He looked up at the ceiling.

"But still you.." I stopped in mid sentence and sighed, "You know how much I dislike smoking. Even mom hates it yet you still smoked!" I was disappointed in him. I never thought that he would start such activities.

"I don't know.. I, it was addicting. I started to release the stress and ten-"

"There was no need to be tense! Everything was fine! Look what smoking led to!" I pointed at him, referring to his condition.

"I'm sorry, I-"

"Just leave it okay, you can't turn back time now can you?" He looked sad, while I was too disappointed in him.

What would happen now? Who would be there to support us? Will we fall into even more crisis? Will everything suddenly just get better? Such thoughts brought tears to my already red and wet eyes.

"A penny for your thoughts?" My father started.

"That's a nickel." I pointed out.

"Same concept." He shrugged and looked at me, "Come on, spill."

"What if, all this turns out wrong?" I came out straight, with tears dropping from my eyes, "What if it happens in a way we don't want it to be?" I sobbed.

"As long as we don't expect such things we-" He started but I cut him off again, "But I know whats supposed to happen Dad! You're going to die! We won't be happy, we never will be!"

"Calm down lovey," He sighed, "Everyone's supposed to die. Some day. Now's my time."

"But daddy-"

"You can't cheat death. It'll come eventually." He quietly said. It was so quiet that it couldn't be heard. But the vacant hospital room caused it to be loud enough for hearing capacity.

"People lose the ones they love everyday. But as long as you remember me here," He placed his hand on my heart, "You'd never lose me." He smiled sadly.

I placed my hand above his and started crying, "Dude, you so deep!" I joked in a try to replace the tense mood.