Chapter Twenty One

Scarlett's P.O.V:

How would you feel when you find out that your father is dying? He won't be by your side after a month?

I felt devastated when I saw him in a hospital gown lying unconscious on the bed. That was when I found out he was suffering from lung cancer. Now? Now when I'm told he will die in a month; it feels as if a dagger had crossed through my heart creating a deep, hollow hole.

Mother was worse. Even though she tried to keep a straight face in front of us, trying to stay strong for us but we knew she was broken inside. Most nights, I heard her soft cries while she was gazing at fathers picture on her bedside table.

"Scar, get up." I heard David knock on the door of my bedroom. I had woken up a few minutes ago and was simply lying on the bed; quite lost in thought to do anything.

"Why?" I mumbled silently to which he groaned.

"You have to go to college." He got closer to me and sat at the end of the bed, tugging at the sheets.

"I don't want-" Before I could complete my sentence, I was interrupted by David.

"That's not my problem." He rudely stated before slamming the door shut. Without my consent, my eyes welled up with tears as I thought of the situation. Even in such terrible conditions, David can't be the least bit concerned.

I collected my bag from the floor and put on my clothes and jacket very lazily as I hadn't gotten much rest. I yawned loudly as I came down the stairs to eat breakfast. I stopped walking when I saw my mother looking paler then ever, sitting on the chair and lazily picking at her breakfast. She seemed lost in thought as she moved the fork through the scrambled eggs in circular motion repeatedly. Her lips held a frown and there were bags under her eyes.

"Ma?" My voice broke the eerie silence that lingered in the kitchen. It also helped in snapping my mother from her thoughts.

When I noticed her attention was towards me, I started, "Are you alright?" I walked towards her and placed a hand on her shoulder for her comfort. She sighed and nodded, but it was clear that she was distressed.

"Mum, there's no need to hide your pain. We're all sad." I muttered and squeezed her shoulder gently.

"I'm fine; really. Just.. Eat your breakfast." She pointed at a plate with toast and butter in front of her. Her quick answer made me realise that she was in no mood to discuss her condition.

I settled my bag on the floor, took a seat and applied a layer of butter on my toast. I looked at mum to see her finishing her eggs and getting up.

Suddenly, I heard the ringing of a phone. I looked at my mother to see if it was hers but she seemed confused as well. She gazed at my jacket and raised her eyebrows at me.

I put my hand in my pocket searching for whatever was ringing. I felt a slim and sleek rectangular type device in my hand and pulled it out.

It was a phone. An iPhone to be clear. What the hell? Where did this come from? My eyes widened automatically as I saw I was receiving a call on this peculiar phone.

And the most unsettling thing was that Haydens name was flashing on the screen.

My mother didn't notice it was iPhone and left the kitchen. If she did, well, there'd be a lot of questions being thrown at me.

I accepted his call by carefully sliding my finger on the phone. I didn't know how an iPhone worked because I never used one. I never even touched one.

"Hello?" I hesitantly asked as I held the phone to my ear.

"Liked my surprise?" Hayden's voice came out of the speaker. I didn't realised that I had accidentally clicked on the speaker option. Stupid touch phones.

"What the hell is the meaning of this?" I kept my voice low as I didn't want my mother to find out who I was talking to or what I was saying. Imagine, if Hayden's name slipped out of my mouth, loudly, that would be the start of an investigation.

"Well when I first met you, I broke your phone. And, I realised I should pay you back someway. But you didn't seem like the money type of girl. So, I bought you a phone instead." He finished while I was eating the bread.

I swallowed and sighed, "Okay. But can I ask you something?"

"Shoot." He calmly said while I was shaking with nervousness. I had been wanting to ask this question since the first day, but the right moment never came and I never asked. It was hiding, waiting to come out for so long.

"Why did you ask me out?" I calmed my nerves but it was kind of impossible as I was scared about his answer.

"Huh?"

"I mean, you didn't know me. I didn't know you. I get it, you wanted to pay me back. But, why ask me out?"

"Well, I saw a very beautiful lady coming into college. I didn't want to miss my chance and let others take her." I laughed lightly and felt a blush rise to my cheeks. It felt as if I was falling in love with him.

Wait..

Love? No.

I admit that I have feelings for this guy. And also, I like him. But love is way out of the question! Our relationship was simply friends... Who kiss and share loveable glances...

"You shouldn't have done this." I sighed, shaking my head from side to side.

"I shouldn't have asked you out?" I could sense his confusion through his tone.

"No. I'm fine with you asking me out. But, you shouldn't have given me a phone." I looked at the time on my watch and noticed I would be late for my first class if I don't hurry.

"Oh! So you're saying you like going out with me." Hayden laughed. My bag was in my hand but it dropped when I noticed what he said.

"What? No!" I picked my bag again and walked to the front door.

"So you don't like going out with me?" He sounded disappointed and unhappy.

"No! I love going out with you!" I settled the phone between my shoulder and ear as I hurried my way out of the house and onto the footpath leading to college.

"Then it's settled. I'm taking you out tomorrow. Be ready at six."

"But-" My sentence was left short when I heard the beep indicating Hayden had hung up.

Well, this is gonna be a long long day..

-----

Hello! I'm so sorry for not updating for soooo longgg!! And also, sorry for such a crappy short chap.

Next chap: ANOTHER DATE! OMG!

Where would Hayden take Scarlett? Hmm.. Somewhere romantic?

Thank you for being patient! Thankyou for reading + voting.

VOTE

COMMENT

FAN

xMagicLollipops ❤