Chapter Thirty

Scarlett's P.O.V:

Fear. That was the only thing emotion I have been feeling since last week. Ma noticed and asked me countless times and my answer was always the same, "I'm fine mother."

Hayden had called many times too. I didn't ignore them but he noticed that I wasn't as excited as before. My reaction to his crazy ideas weren't the same. He was concerned and asked me multiple times if something was wrong, if he did anything wrong.

It wasn't anyones fault but mine. I should've been more careful. The fear made me skip college a lot more. I was afraid of my secret being revealed. I could just imagine the stares and laughs as I walked by in the college halls. I didn't want that. But it had been a week. Shouldn't she have done it by now?

My thoughts were cut short by a loud banging on my bedroom door. I heard my mother shouting my name. I shoved the blankets away and opened the door revealing my distressed mother. Her sharp intakes of breath had my heart beating fast right away.

"Ma..." I held her hands tight but it didn't calm her.

"Your father... hospital..." She managed to let out.

"David!" I yelled, panic visible on my face. David appeared infront of me and took Ma in his arms. We didn't own a car, so we had to walk all the way to the main road and hailed a cab. David placed mother in the backseat with me and went to front. He seated himself while telling the driver to hurry to the hospital.

Ma didn't stop crying. Seeing her cry made my eyes teary as well. I rubbed her back in attempt to comfort her. We managed to reach the hospital in time. David gave some money to the driver and took mum from my arms. We went to the ICU but the doctors didn't allow us in. We were sat in the waiting room with the doctor explaining the situation to us.

"You heartless bastards! Does money really mean that much to you? My father is about to die and you're doing no such thing to help him!" David shouted. His face red with anger.

"Calm down-"

"My fathers life is on the line and you're telling me to calm down?! You're a doctor! You're supposed to help us!" He exclaimed, his fists clenched on his sides.

"I'm sorry, but the patient is in a critical condition right now and we can't do anything." The doctor had a sympathetic expression but I knew better. It was all fake.

Davids voice cracked as a sob left his shaking lips, "You could've helped him. You could've helped him." He left the room, leaving me and my mother sitting there quiet.

"How much time doctor?" Mum quietly asked.

"A day or so. You can see him right now." He left with that.

"You can go first Ma." She only nodded and went in the room lazily. I waited for fifteen minutes, thinking how much of a downfall my life had taken. I rubbed my face with my hands and sighed. Did I do something wrong?

I heard the door open and saw my mother smiling and gesturing me to come in. Seeing her smile made me feel better. Although that happiness didn't last very long when I saw my father. His pale skin, heavily bagged eyes and almost white lips had me crying. But he was still smiling.

"Daddy..." He spread his arms and I wasted no time and went straight into his welcoming embrace. Mum sat right beside dad, her hand rubbing his shoulder.

-------

Dad died exactly two days after the incident at the hospital. David brought dads favourite chocolates and a music player. David danced with mum to our parents wedding song. We had watched the video so many times that we could point out the things in the video without looking.

His funeral was to be held after three weeks. The funeral home had demanded seven thousand dollars for the arrangement of dads funeral. It was like they were celebrating my fathers death. Luckily, Mr Burns had taken the responsibility of the arrangements and payment. It was an offer we couldn't refuse. Mum hadn't taken his death lightly. He was her first and last love afterall.

------

Hope you guys liked this chapter! The next one is longer than this. We're coming close to the ending!

Thankyou very much for reading! Please vote and comment too! It would mean a lot to me :)

Love, xMagicLollipops ❤❤