Dodge and Burn

DRAKE'S P.O.V.

Despite Reaver's oddly warm invitation to join him in the demon underworld, I decided to firmly stay in the world I was used to, and sent him to get the supplies he needed for the locating spell he was going to do. Eris and I waited, for what seemed like hours, and eventually we ordered pizzas and I made a phone call to detective Hallowell, debating while the line was transferred over how much I should tell him about Reaver.

"Drake," He greeted in a casual, yet still business like tone.

"Any leads?" I questioned, though I knew the answer, and leaned up against the kitchen counter. Everyone else was in the living room, and I eyed a half empty box of pizza left open. I hadn't eaten yet and I realized I was starving. When had I actually sat down and ate a meal? I stifled a sigh, shoulders tight.

"I would have called you if I'd found anything, I assure you."

I slid the box toward me, picking up a slice of room temperature pizza. "Just checking." I picked off a pepperoni, popping it in my mouth and chewing. "Ah- I might have some sort of lead, maybe."

I could tell I had gotten his full attention, despite the background of chatter and noise. "What is it?"

"Eh," I hesitated, wavering. Should I tell him what Reaver was? I wasn't sure if that was a good idea, but how was I going to explain to him if he did find out where Arabelle was? How could I make up a lie for that? We were working on virtually nothing, it's not like I had leads. He was technically the head of the investigation and though I hadn't known him for very long I realized I trusted him. "Could you stop by? It'd be easier to, well, explain in person."

"Sure. I'll be over as soon as I can."

"Thanks,"

I hung up the phone, setting it on the counter as I focused on eating the slice of pizza in my hand.

"You're going to tell him."

I bit my tongue, startled, and grimaced as I saw Eris walking up to the counter. I cursed, hand to my mouth as if I could sooth the sting by holding my jaw. "Will you stop doing that?"

"Doing what?" she demanded, arms crossing over her chest. "You're never paying attention to your entryways and exits. It's not my fault."

I sighed inaudibly, setting the half eaten food back down in the box. I went to go pour myself a cup of the coffee that was brewed hours ago.

"It's a wise choice- telling him." she continued.

"Yeah? Why's that?"

"Kasper's trustworthy."

"How do you know?" I got out a mug, filling it.

"I've known him for awhile. Since he first entered the police force. I've been captured many times in my life. You could call me a sort of escape artist. I've gone through nearly twenty different owners. He's always treated me with respect, despite the dismay from his fellow humans. He's also treated my friends with respect. I've gotten to know him from afar and near. He's good."

"Well, glad to know I'm doing something right." I muttered, staring down at the mug I had filled.

"Drake, you're doing everything you can. Your valor is-...surprising. You truly would go to the ends of the world and back for the people you love."

"And here you probably thought I was just some arrogant royal prick." I smiled somewhat, facing her with my coffee in hand.

"More or less." she shrugged one slender shoulder.