Could You Teach Me?

Astrith served milktea in porcelain cups and we sat in a great dining room at long black table decorated in a white lace.

The tea was the color of milk, with a creamy taste and a floral undertone of roses and herbs. It was better than I expected it to be.

I was initially a bit nervous around Astrith, but I soon warmed up to her well. She wasn’t nearly as menacing as I imagined. She was impossibly nice, and she treated me practically like a daughter.

She asked a lot of my life growing up, and I told her everything she wanted to know. She asked of my parents and of my position on the throne. The only thing I didn’t mention was Corey.

“You should stay for dinner,” Astrith said, smiling warmly with her full lips.

I shot a glance at Salem, who was seated next to me. It wasn’t that I was not enjoying myself, but I did have responsibilities back in the human realm.

He must’ve gotten what I was trying to convey because he looked but at his mother and said, “I think Alina has to get back, mother. I’ve already kept her here for too long.”

Her smile faded into a sad one, looking from her son to me she replied, “You will come back, won’t you, Alina? You’ll come back and see me?”

“Yes.” I answered offhand. “I mean, I’d like that.”

She smiled again. “Good. Well, I suppose I’ll let you two go then.”

We got up from the table and Salem put an arm around my waist, which I noticed but didn’t think much of at the moment.

“I can’t wait for the wedding.” She commented brightly as she embraced me.

It took me a moment to respond after I remembered about that. “Uh-yeah, it’ll be lovely. Will you come?”

“If you’ll have me. I’d love to.” She pulled back, reaching over to give Salem a hug.

“It’s only fitting that you be there, too.” I claimed, not seeing the harm in it.

“Wonderful.” She beamed, looking even more beautiful. “Now, you two be sure to come back soon. A woman gets lonely cooped up her with nothing but her spells and potions.”

Salem smiled at his mother. “We’ll visit again as soon as we have the chance.”

“Very well, off with you then, my lovelies. I have potions cooking that need tending to.”

“Goodbye, mother.”

“Bye, bye.” She waved, flitting past us out of the room as we shifted out of one reality and into another.

February 17th noon