Conceived In Blood

The nearest slave house was in Willow Town, on Lin Street.

It was a great brick building with sycamore trees outside that moved with the lazy breeze that passed through the evening air.

I parked my car out front. It was dark out by the time I got there, it wasn’t a short drive.

I went up to the heavy wooden doors, and swung them open easily. When I stepped inside, it was a high-ceilinged reception area with candle chandeliers and the smell of must and blood hung in the air.

The heels of my boots thumped heavily against the floor as I strode over to the front desk, sounding like ominous echoes in the room.

“Hi,” The girl behind the oak desk greeted me with a bright smile. “How can I help you?”

I had no smile to give back to her, only a cold expression. “Have you gotten any new captives in today?”

She blinked at the question. “Why are you asking?”

“As a buyer, I’m curious.” I tried to play the easiest card, hoping it would work.

“Well…we received some this afternoon. They won’t be for sale until the next auction, though.”

“May I see them?” I asked, trying my hardest not to grab the girl by her shirt and shake the living hell out of her. I just wanted to get them out. Now.

“I don’t think that’s allowed.”

“I think it is, because you’re speaking to your Queen.”

The girl started, looking over at me in disbelief.

It was the hair. The fucking hair is different.

“I-I’m going to need some ID, miss, if you don’t mind.”

ID? I didn’t have my fucking license on me. I rarely ever kept it on me, just like my parents never did with theirs either. Nor did I think to grab it, when I thought I would only be out for a short time.

It just wasn’t something I had to keep on me. Everyone knew who I was without having to look at a stinking license.

“You do realize if you refuse me, I can have you arrested for treason?” I told her coolly, although I wanted to yell at her. Possibly even strangle her.

“I understand…but, it’s just protocol. We need an ID from buyers.” She stammered in response.

“I’m not a fucking buyer. Show me them. Now.” I looked her dead in the eye, unwavering.

“Excuse me one moment,” She said, barely above a whisper, and hurried into the back office.

I waited impatiently until she returned, with some big, burly guard.

I suppose he was supposed to intimidate me. He didn’t.