No Hassle Night

The drive back home was long and silent, and I mainly tried to focus on getting back, as I was feeling more and more tired with each passing minute. I held onto Corey’s hand tightly the whole way back, and didn’t let go until we arrived at the castle.

I had called Drake ahead of time and he prepared spare bedrooms for them to stay in, getting fresh sheets in each room and blood by the bedside, to help them regain some energy. I also made sure he gathered plenty of first aid supplies and made sure that each bedroom he put them in had its own bathroom that was fully stocked because I was sure they would want to bathe and clean off their wounds once they had the energy to do so.

Drake was waiting at the door when we arrived, holding it open for us as we filed in, the house lit by its crystal chandeliers and smelling of freshly brewed coffee.

“You guys got out alright?” Drake asked, appraising the wounds on each of them with apprehension.

“We made it,” I nodded.

“No thanks to you,” Julia smiled tiredly.

I gave her a comforting one in return. “Drake, why don’t you show them to the rooms you made up?

He nodded. “Yeah. You guys can just follow me, they’re upstairs.”

After a few moments, I gathered my strength again and Corey and I headed up the staircase as well, to my room.

“How badly are you hurt?” I asked him once we were inside, and I shut the door behind me.

He shrugged with one shoulder, trying not to grimace. “I’ll be okay.”

I eyed him warily, chewing on my bottom lip. “I’ll draw a bath.”

Striding over to the bathroom, I flicked on the light and bent over the tub, turning the faucet on for the hot water. A wave of dizziness overcame me and I almost fell before I caught myself on the edge, steadying my balance before I stood back up.

“What’s up with the hair, by the way?”

I glanced back at the doorway as I stooped down to get out towels from under the sink, seeing Corey come in.

“Oh,” I uttered, standing back up with the towels. “Just a change. Do you like it?”

“It’s really different,” He appraised, leaning against the doorframe.

I bit my lip, setting down the towels and taking his hand in mine.

I guided him further into the room, my fingers gentle on his. “Are you not going to tell me how badly you were hurt?”

“It’s just a few cuts.” He replied, his green eyes bloodshot and red.

“A few?” I eyed his blood-stained shirt.

“It’ll heal.”