Soft, Dark, and Dreamless

Moarnever Park was practically at the center of town, about fifteen minutes from every direction, so I was there relatively quickly.

I had changed at home earlier, out of the dirt-stained clothes, and into a pair of high-waisted dark blue jeans that fit my slender legs snuggly, and an ivory sweater, with a pair of black leather ankle boots. 

The sky was starry and dark above the park, and as I parked across the street and made my way over, I could see the flashing police car lights and the yellow tape decorating the entire border of the park. I saw police officers moving inside the protected circle, flashlights zigzagging in the dark.

As I stepped up to the entrance of the park, I was stopped by a bulky police officer with dark skin and darker eyes.

“The park’s closed, ma’am.” he asserted politely.

“I was called here by Detective Hallowell.” I explained, reaching into my pocket for my ID. I showed the card to him, watching as he flicked his flashlight over it to read.

His eyes flicked up to me, then back to the card, widening a bit. “Your majesty, I’m sorry. Kasper didn’t say anything about expecting the Queen.”

Detective Hallowell’s figure stepped up just then, putting a hand on the officer’s broad shoulder. “I didn’t want anyone freaking out. Kind of like how you are now.”

The flustered officer shuffled his feet, still wide-eyed. “My apologies, your majesty.” He took down the tape, stepping aside for me to enter the park.

“Thank you.” I crossed the threshold of the wood bridge.

I followed Kasper down the bridge, walking in time with him.

“Thank you for rushing over here.” he spoke, making my head turn towards him.

His hair looked almost silver in the moonlight.

“Not a problem. Has something happened here?”

“Yes. There’s been a double murder. Except, the circumstances of death were unusual.”

“Unusual?” I glanced as we approached the park gazebo, a large wooden building used mostly for events and weddings.

Kasper smiled, breathing a laugh. “Well, whoever did this certainly has a sense of humor.”

Confused, I followed him into the gazebo, where lights had been brought in to reveal the crime scene, and forensic were at work.

“Two girls stumbled across the scene first. We were called about an hour ago.” Kasper led me right up to the scene, where I stopped and stared with apprehensive eyes. “I do hope you’re not too squeamish.” he smiled at me.

The bodies were of a man and woman, dressed in a tux and a wedding dress, positioned in seats adjacent to each other, their hands clasped. The girl was wearing a vale, so her face was unseen, but her white dress was splattered with red stains. In her lap was a bouquet of white roses, with a single red one in the middle.