Listen To The Rain

DRAKE'S P.O.V.

A storm had rolled in, engulfing the once blue skies in grey cloaks looming over the castle and drenching the ground. I once again dialed my sister’s number, and this time it went straight to the voicemail. Her phone had been turned off.

I put my phone down, casting a glance at mom, who worriedly wrung her hands.

“Still nothing?” she asked.

I shook my head. “It went straight to voicemail. What about dad’s?”

“It doesn’t even go into voicemail. There’s no service.” her eyes glistened with unshed tears.

It had been nearly five hours since I was guessing that Arabelle left. Corey went with her too, so I supposed. Everyone else was still here except those two.

“When do we call the police?” mom questioned me again, her voice bordering on panicked, but she still had a sliver of composure left in her.

“It’s 24 hours until it can be considered a missing person’s case.” I stared down at my phone, almost hoping that the screen would light up and my sister’s name would come onto the screen. The phone remained dark.

“But I know something’s wrong. She called me before. I told you. She sounded upset. Panicky. Something’s wrong, Drake. We need to call the police now.”

 I bit the inside of my lip, thinking. “There’s a detective that Arabelle’s gotten close to lately. He’ll probably help us.”

Mom seemed to grow a bit relieved, but anxious. “Call him. Please, Drake. Who knows what’s happened to your father and sister.”

“And Corey,” I muttered, pushing away from the counter. “Stay here. I’ll call from the office phone. Just try and relax, mom. Arabelle can take care of herself. You know that.”

She nodded, but remained unconvinced, I could see. Still, there was nothing more I could do to reassure her. I was worried too. I felt sick to my stomach.

I walked to the office, and shut the door behind me. Grabbing the phone from the receiver, I propped it up on my shoulder and dialed the police headquarters. A woman answered, and I asked to be connected to Detective Hallowell. I gave her my name and waited as she put me on hold.

A few seconds later the line clicked back open. “Prince Hart. What a surprise. How may I help you?”the voice that answered was smooth, and amiable.

“Detective Hallowell, I’m sorry for bothering you this late.”

“It’s no trouble at all. I am at your service.”

“By chance could you come by the castle? There’s an urgent matter I need to speak to you about, but it’s better if it’s in person.”

“I can be there in a half hour.”

“Great, I’ll see you then, Detective.”

“Call me Kasper.”

The line went dead and I hung the phone back up. Sighing, I ran a hand through my short hair. I nearly jumped ten feet in the air when I put my hand down and saw a svelte figure standing before me out of nowhere.

Eris looked at me with calm, patient eyes, and I cursed beneath my breath, heart hammering into my chest. I was already on edge; the last thing I needed was fucking vampires sneaking up on me.

“Jesus fuck,” I cursed again. “Where the hell did you come from lady?”

“Around,” she answered slowly, walking over and taking a seat in the armchair.