vices //

DRAKE //

My hand shook as I downed the glass of whiskey, slamming it back down onto the table empty. I couldn't tell if it was helping to calm my nerves or not. We had arrived back at the castle just a little bit ago after an exhausting,pensive drive. My head was reeling.

I couldn't decide if I was more pissed or distraught. I think I was still in shock from it all. Not only did I found out that my father is dead, but Corey is a goddamn Rebellion spy? Should I have seen it coming?

Pouring another glass of amber liquid, I watched from the office doorway as Corey's family was led out of the castle by Kasper's police officers, their hands bound by zip ties that were reinforced with a special metal to hold vampires. I didn't know if I could trust them, not with Corey turning out to be a traitor. As far as I was concerned, until proven otherwise, they were traitors to the crown. They would be held in jail for the time being, to be on the safe side.

"People are starting to notice," I said to Eris, who was standing in the office. I turned away as the last of Corey's family was led out the large castle doors, taking another swig from my glass. "That Arabelle hasn't made any public appearances. The rumor for right now is that she's pregnant. There's also a rumor that it's Corey's. How scandalous. A half vampire baby. Is that even possible?"

"Not if she were a human. Which the public thinks she is." Eris noted, twirling a short, silver dagger in her hand. The dried blood on it didn't go unnoticed by me.

"I'm not going to be able to keep it hidden for much longer. If we don't find my sister soon, I'm going to have to tell the public something. I really don't want it to be the truth." I scrubbed a hand over the beard growing in on my jawline. "I'm not good enough, I'm just a prince. I can't keep filling in for her, people don't want a prince. They want the Queen." I grabbed my pack of cigarettes from the desk, sitting on the messy, polished wood surface as I lit one.

"We'll find her." Eris assured, but I found no solace in her words.

Kasper came into the office, his shoulders sagging. He looked exhausted. It had been a very, very long night. Although I think his weariness was partly due to the shit he pulled down in those tunnels. I glanced down at my jeans, noting the dirt stained knees. Taking a drag on my cigarette, I watched the blonde detective.

"We will keep them in custody until further instruction." he told me.

"Thank you."

He glanced down, seeming to gather his thoughts. I eyed him warily, waiting for him to speak.

"Do you want a drink?" I inquired, grabbing another crystal glass from the small china cabinet positioned in the corner. I poured him a copious amount of whiskey even without an answer. I handed him the glass and he accepted it.

"Um, Prince Hart, I do have to ask for your discretion about...my abilities." The detective muttered, looking down at the amber liquid in his cup.

"No shit. I bet that's something you don't go around telling everyone."

"Am I missing something?" Eris intoned, crossing her arms.

"Yeah, you missed a lot." I responded.

Neither Kasper or I had mentioned how we had walked away unscathed after encountering a horde of undead. All I had told Reaver and Eris was the information that I found out about my dad and Corey.

Reaver had given Kasper a curious look but didn't question how we managed to get away. I wasn't about to spill the beans. I was still a little freaked out by what I had witnessed. My gratitude for Kasper outweighed my fear though because I knew if not for his strange, destructive magic we would both certainly be dead.