Bring The Night On

DRAKE'S P.O.V.

Kasper parked the car, and shut the engine off. The place we were in was a beaten down path of a dirt road located just a little ways off to the side of a small town called Everlyn, a place pretty much centered in the middle of a woodsy swamp with one motel and little brick houses scattered in the midst of towering trees.  

The path was hard to see, and had been even harder to find. I didn’t see anything around us as I got out of the car, except bent trees with long sweeping limbs and a few police cars sitting idle. The rain was even worse here, and I could feel stray drops hitting my unshaven face as I walked around the car to Kasper. My hood provided a fair amount of coverage from the damp, but I could still feel it slowly seeping through my jeans. If we stayed out here much longer, we’d all be soaked.

“This is the place?” I asked, glancing around at the wildlife. “I don’t see anything.”

Detective Hallowell looked over at me, his eyes vague in the darkness. “This is where we’ve gotten reports about odd activity. We’re gonna look around. See if there are any underground tunnels or anything that looks habitable.”

I nodded, crossing my arms over my middle as he went to speak with the police officers standing by. I felt someone slide up beside me and I glanced over at Eris, her eyes scanning the area.

“I still don’t get what you’re doing here.” I muttered, looking away.

“Keeping you safe,” she amended, as I started walking further down the near invisible path.

I scoffed lightly. “Why should I trust you? You were with the Rebellion.” I traveled the area with my gaze, inspecting the plants and tall grass that sprung up everywhere. Off the path was moshy land that sunk beneath my boots as I stepped over it. There was some sort of water nearby, no doubt. I followed the soggy ground, sloshing through the rain. Eris trailed behind, merely a silent black shadow tailing me, but I could feel her presence at my back.

“Once. A long time ago. I didn’t agree with their principals so I left. Then I was captured and thrown back into chains. The luckiest day of my life was when your sister found me.”

“So why weren’t you worried about keeping her safe?”

“I was. I am.

“Well, you’re doing a shit job, then.”

  “Excuse me, but do you know how hard it is to tail your sister? She’s…unpredictable and fickle. Like you.”

“Wait,” I stopped for a moment, turning to look back at her. “You’ve been stalking my sister?”

“It’s not stalking.”

“It’s stalking.” I continued on through the soggy grass.

“Nevermind. The point is I was trying to keep your sister safe from a distance. I hadn’t earned her trust yet, nor her mine fully. I was trying to keeping an eye out without raising suspicion.”

“That’s why you knew about her and Corey?”

“Yes.” she paused a moment. “Where are we going?”

My eyes found the body of water up ahead and I pointed. “There,”

She stepped up beside me. “A stream? Why?”

I shrugged lightly. “Everything gravitates towards water,”

“We’re not a heard of deer.” she stated.

I rolled my eyes, but I doubted she saw. “Not just animals. All living things are attracted to water. It’s an energy source.”

 “Living?” she uttered quietly.