down to the bone //

I was shaking, whether from exhaustion or adrenaline I couldn't tell anymore. My hands were sticky with dried blood and I clenched my fists, holding them close to my abdomen as I trudged through a dark wooded area, following Corey's lead. I felt nauseous but at the same time I felt the strongest I had since getting captured. Feeding on fresh blood had satiated my vampiric appetite and renewed my strength, though mentally I was doing much less than okay.

"What you did back there,"

I vaguely registered Corey was talking, my head was hazy as I looked at his outline. "-feeding on another vampire. Only demons can do that."

My eyebrows knitted together. I was having a hard time processing everything. "Demons can feed on blood?"

"The stronger ones can."

I let that tidbit of new information sink in. "So a vampire can't feed on other vampires?"

"It makes us sick. Normally."

I thought about asking him to elaborate on the normally comment but found I didn't have the emotional energy to care at the moment. I didn't know if I liked the fact that I had the ability to feed on other vampires or not. There was something slightly unsettling about it when I really gave it thought, so I tried not to at the moment. "Can you?"

His response never came and I didn't bother prying for an answer. I kept pace with him,chasing the crescent moon in the sky as we swiftly made our way through dense foliage. "Where are we going?" I finally decided to ask after some time had passed.

"We're taking a shortcut."

"By short cut you mean the woods?" Despite everything that had happened, my sarcasm was still intact. That was comforting.

"It's only a little further,"

"What is?"

Once again my question went unanswered. I sighed heavily, wondering how I could still remain composed right now, I focused on the steady motion of walking,letting it sooth my nerves and keep my mind from wandering. I was so intent on what I was doing I almost missed it when Corey suddenly took a sharp turn, going deeper into the thicket of thorns and twisted pale branches. I redirected my steps, trailing him into a small clearing. Why was I even following him? I could leave, I could go my own way. Granted, I had no idea where in the hell I was. He could easily lead me into another trap. I warily watched from a distance as he ducked down and reached into a hollow stump, from within it he retrieved two backpacks. He walked back over to where I was standing, tossing one of the bags at me.

I caught it, looking down at the unfamiliar luggage. "What's this?"

"Supplies,"

"For what?"

"Escape." he brushed past me, leading the way again.

"Haven't I already escaped? I killed Bryn. I'm no longer a hostage. I can go back home."