Hide & Seek

"What?" Ryan asked as they sat down to have lunch.

"What what?" Seth asked, without even facing his friend.

"What are you looking for?" Ryan took a sip from his juice.

"Nothing. Why?" Seth resumed to his tray of food.

"You are looking for something. Actually, someone. Just tell me."

"Summer." Seth lied. He was actually looking for Brandi, but couldn't see her anywhere.

"Oh, God." Ryan rolled his eyes and grabbed his sandwich.

"Ok, Ryan, listen, you gotta help me find someone." Seth leaned in and it looked like he was telling Ryan a secret.

"Who?" Ryan frowned.

"Well, remember..." Seth started but got cut off.

"There you are!" Marissa greeted Ryan and kissed him on the cheek. Summer was with her.

"Hey. Sit." Ryan said and pulled out a chair for her.

"Thank you." Marissa sat down and eyed Summer so she'd sit too. Summer just rolled her eyes and did as told.

A second after the girls sat down, Marissa and Ryan were already engaged on a conversation about what they would do that afternoon.

Seth opened his Coke and took a sip of it, still looking around to find Brandi.

"Are you pretending to ignore me, Cohen?"

"What?" Seth made eye contact with Summer for the first time.

"You're distracted, turning your head around... are you pretending to ignore me here? Because if you are, let me just tell you that I didn't want to be here, I'm only here because Coop asked me to join her, but if you want me gone, I can just..."

"No!" Seth exclaimed "Stay! I was..." Seth couldn't say to her that he was looking for another girl, so he lied "I was looking for this guy from my Comic Book Club."

"Comic Book Club?"

"Yeah. Ryan and I started one yesterday." Seth grinned.

"Good. Now you'll talk to someone about comic books that actually care about them. Instead of the time we were going out and I had to listen to you talking and talking about Superman and Wonder Woman non-stop. "

"Well, if you had a problem with that, why didn't you say so? I would have stopped!" Seth defended himself.

"I thought my annoyed face would be enough for you to get it, but I guess you were just too dumb to see it."

"Guess so." Seth spit out and then realized that he had actually agreed he was dumb. He went silent and started eating his sandwich.

.

'I'm at the library right now. I'm not having lunch today. I'm not at all hungry. I guess I lost my appetite this morning, when Seth came over to talk to me. He actually came to me for a conversation. How cool is that? Ok,that line just sounded phony and so Harbor High. But seriously now, we talked for a while and he seemed kinda interested in our conversation, but then that blonde friend of his showed up and gave him a piece of paperwith some girl's name and number. I didn't understand it. I thought he was dating that brunette girl that he ran to yesterday. Maybe he is dating that girl and also checking out some other girls. Men are just... douchebags.