Chapter 10

New Chapter! I hope you guys like this! I just wanted to update one more time before I go to bed. I really really hope you like this chapter and I really cannot thank you enough for reading. I love you all! -Hannah*****************************

CHAPTER 10: Alice hung up the phone with a sigh. She could hear the worry in her parent's voices and she hated that she was worrying them. Leaning back in the soft leather recliner of the hospital bedroom, she looked out the window.

The sun was just beginning to set, the deep and bright rubies, pinks and oranges fading to the dark velvet night waiting to take its place and wash the world in milky twilight. Nerves made Alice chew on the inside of her cheek.

She hated it-hated the fact that one person could do something and make her scared of her own shadow.

She had been so excited to explore the beauty that was the baby blue sky-the grass beneath her feet-the smell of rain on the wind and she had been excited to explore all of it without any limitations like she had lived with most of her life and now that she was able to do and explore all that she wanted she was beginning to see the dark side of the world she lived in and it scared her—saddened her.

Her temple gave a dull throb and she rubbed at it as she released a pent up breath. She was terrified and there was nothing that was going to change that which she did not appreciate in the least.

She had already had her world so rocked with Cecily's death and to have this happen right after shook her and scared her. She was full of fear and it was still there no matter how many times she told herself it was okay. What happened the day before was a sad unlucky thing and it just so happened to be a coincidence that it was at Cecily's charity fundraiser.

That is what Alice told herself. It's what she had to tell herself because if she didn't and let herself allow the possibility that it was anything other than a one-time coincidence she was sure that she would curl up in a ball and never leave her room for fear of something happening again.

So, she let herself revel in the maybe false knowledge that everything was going to be okay. Alice turned when she heard the hospital room door open.

Sydney walked in wearing jeans and a long sleeved lilac t-shirt, her hair pulled into a high ponytail and her boots clacking on the white tile of the hospital floor.

"Ready?" she asked. Alice bit her lip and nodded, stood.

She looked down at her baggy grey sweatpants and tank top with an oversized mustard yellow cardigan grimacing.

"I look like crap." She muttered as she tightened her long locks into a messy bun at the crown of her head.

Sydney let out a twinkling laugh and raised a perfect blonde brow.

"You look fine especially with all you've just been through, but unfortunately I do have something that I don't think you are going to appreciate." She giggled and Alice was instantly weary as she began to pull on her black uggs.

"What now?" she groaned.

Sydney simply grinned and walked out of the hospital room and came back a moment later rolling in a wheelchair.

"Oh hell no!" Alice said with a fierce shake of her head.

Sydney sighed though her lips curled with amusement.

"Babe, the doctor said that the drugs are still in your system so you are going to be a little dizzy. Its just a precaution the hospital has to take. So pull on you big girl panties or so help me god I will walk over there and drag your skinny ass to the chair and duct tape you to it." Sydney said, her eyes narrowed.