Chapter 16

Hello, my most amazing readers. Happy new year! This is the very first chapter that I will be posting in 2016!! 2015 was a really good year and a really horrible year for me, and I am hoping that 2016 will be better for me!! I am so excited for all that I have planned and I am excited for all of you to see it. I am just posting a quick and short chapter tonight, but tomorrow I have a longer chapter planned. I hope you enjoy this short one and I cant wait for you to see what is coming... DUN DUN DUUUUUN! lol. I love you guys!!! XOXO -Hannah :)

*************************************

CHAPTER 16: Ethan dropped down into the seat that sat behind his desk, sighing.

Man, he hated cops.

Each time he had to deal with them he began to dislike them even more-each time. They always acted like they were superior to him, because they had a gun and a badge and he was simply a PI and only a PI. They felt like they could tell anyone and everyone what to do, when to do it and it all got on his nerves. They weren't any better than him.

He growled out in frustration, raking a hand through his hair.

Derek 'Danger' walked in then, his large feet stomping like tree trunks as he fell onto the couch. It creaked a protest that was soon drowned out by the deep timber of his voice.

"Well, how'd it go?" he asked.

Ethan cocked an eyebrow, his face tight.

Derek let out a laugh."That bad, eh?"

Ethan nodded as he scrubbed his palm down his face.

"That much and more. I fucking hate cops, man." He said.

Derek nodded, cracking his knuckles.

"Yeah, you do. But, I am sensing that there is more to it than just asshole cops."

Ethan sighed, resisting the urge to pound his head into a wall.

"Yes," he muttered reluctantly.

"And?" Derek pushed.

Sighing again, Ethan sat up straighter and propped his booted feet up on the desk.

"I kissed Alice." He mumbled, but Derek's sharp hearing caught it instantly.

He shot up. "What?! Dude! You know this is going to affect the case! Why?!" he yelled making Ethan wince.

Ethan threw his hands up in frustration.

"I don't know, okay?!  It-it just happened and I couldn't stop it even if I had wanted to and I couldn't deny myself or her any longer. She-" he trailed off, cursing.

Derek stared at him expectantly.

"She is different." Ethan finally whispered.

"I want her. And I don't mean I just want to fuck her, I want her-wholly and completely." He said.

Derek stared at him for a moment, something flashing in his eyes that Ethan didn't understand before he finally gave a sigh and nodded as he dropped his head.

"You know you have to be careful...right?" he asked in a low tone.

Ethan contemplated that for a moment and finally nodded.

"I will be. Always am. Now can we stop talking about my love life and actually talk about the case?" he asked.

Derek gave him a grin as he once again plopped down on the couch.

Ethan grabbed the case file folder and flipped through the pages, the gruesome and haunting images of Cecily's body staring up at him with malicious glee.

He was used to seeing such graphic things, though.

It didn't mean that it didn't keep him up at night for the most part.

"Did you find anything at the bar? Or about Oliver?" he asked as he licked his thumb and flipped another page.

Derek let out a low rumble as he scrubbed a hand over his jaw, dark with five o' clock shadow.

"Nothing much of interest. Oliver had no reason for anyone to hate him. He lived a simple life and witnessing the person who killed Cecily was probably the biggest and most prominent event in his life, and I'm guessing it is what lead to his death. There is no other reason any person would want him-a bartender-dead. I am pretty much positive it was Cecily's killer, coming back to silence him before he could give away any telling details," said Derek and Ethan nodded.

"The only thing I don't understand is why would he wait until the last moment where you were near and where he could easily be caught? Why not wait until he was alone and there were no witnesses. The bar was nearly packed because of lunch so why would the killer risk it?" Derek asked with a scowl.

Ethan sat back in his chair, folding large arms over his chest.

"I think it is because he wanted an audience. With everything that has happened it has all been a big show. The killer wants to induce fear in the community. It's a way of him making sure he has all of the control. He did it then because it was in front of a lot of witnesses, it was just the icing on the cake that Alice was there as well." Ethan said.

Derek nodded, his face thoughtful.

"This guy...This guy isn't afraid to be bold and bold criminals are even more so dangerous. We need to be careful." Derek murmured and Ethan instantly agreed.

If the killer was as bold as they thought, Alice wasn't safe and she needed to be protected.

Ethan would die before he let that killer get 10 feet from her. With the note that Alice received it only affirmed that the killer did know of Alice and wasn't afraid to toy with her.

Ethan felt the familiar burn of anger flicker in his chest, stoking until it burned hot beneath his sternum, begging for release through his fists.

He clenched his hands on his thighs and counted to ten, taking deep breaths.

When he opened his eyes again, Derek was watching him calmly.

"I want you to go back to the bar, look for anything and I mean ANYTHING that could lead us to a clue as to who the killer is. Get the security camera footage and we will see if we possibly got anything good on tape." Ethan said and Derek nodded as he scribbled down on a small notepad.

He stood and walked to the door when Ethan stopped him.

"Also, get the parking lot footage. I want to see if it catches whoever left the note on Alice's car. I want every stone overturned. Nothing missed. I'll focus on the note." He told him.

Derek gave one curt nod before he left.

Ethan let out a deep sigh as he leaned deeper back into his seat.

A throb began behind his right eye socket, then pounded at his temple.

He pulled out two Tylenol and washed them down with some water, sighing as he leaned over his desk.

He needed to find out who was behind the killing because if his suspicions were right this wasn't anywhere close to the end and the killer was just beginning his reign of terror that could cause everything the killer touched to go up in flames.

Ethan only hoped he could protect Alice from perishing. He would die before he let the killer have her. He smiled darkly down at the note the killer had left Alice on the table.

Let the games...begin.

****************************

Done!!! Ahh! I really hope you enjoyed this chapter even though it was pretty short. I am very excited for you guys to see what is coming next and how you will react!!! *squeals* You guys are the best! I cannot thank you enough for already getting Amare to 1K!!! ITS INSANE!!! Thank you with all of my heart, you guys. VOTE. FOLLOW. COMMENT. SHARE. Love you all! -Hannah <3