Chapter 42

HI EVERYONEEEE! :) Omg I have missed you guys! I am so sorry I haven't been able to update. So much has been going on. Koda, my dog, has had two seizures. We think we will need to put him to sleep soon so I have been trying to spend as much time as possible with him and then my grandma is visiting from California on top of that and then I've had important doctor appointments. So, it has been INSANE! But, I have a chapter for you guys now! This is the last chapter before the epilogue! So keep your eyes open for that one! I'm so excited even though I am sad this book is ending--there will be another book! Like I said, keep your eyes open for the epilogue coming up next! I hope with all of my heart and soul that you enjoy. I love you! XOXO -Hannah<3

**********************

CHAPTER 42: The following day, Alice finally managed to convince Ethan to let her go see Layla. She knew Ethan would be protective following what happened, but she was still startled at just how protective he was being.

When she had pointed it out to him, he had merely leaned it to kiss her softly, saying, "I nearly lost you once and in the process-nearly lost myself. You are mine and I will always show you just how much I love you."

She had swooned.

Literally, star-in the eyes-swooned. And he had laughed and kissed her.

Ethan left the room and returned not long after with a wheelchair. She had never had to really use a wheelchair, but she did have to say that the day that came when she finally didn't have to use one, would be a day that she would cherish.

"Ready?" Ethan asked and Alice nodded, pulling the blankets from her legs. She had been planning on doing most of the work herself, but she squeaked in surprise as arms came under her legs.

Instantly, she wrapped her arms around Ethan's neck as he lifted her from the bed and walked over to the wheelchair, only setting her down after having thoroughly kissed her.

He laughed at the blank expression on her face, leaning down to whisper in her ear.

"I love you."

That made her grin and she only turned so that she could kiss his stubbly cheek.

The nurses were at their stations outside of her hospital room and the girls gave her a wink as Ethan helped rolled her down the hallway.

Alice had been lucky with the nurses that had been working round the clock while she was here, each of them being sweet and sympathetic, but not treating her like some frail thing.

Alice smiled as a little girl skipped past her and Ethan, holding a balloon in one-hand and what Alice assumed to be her father's hand in the other.

At the top of her lungs she sang, "I'm a big sister! I'm a big sister!"

Alice giggled and smiled at them as they passed.

Everything was so beautiful, Alice thought.

The old couple holding hands in the waiting room, their hands wrinkled and marred with liver-spots while love shone brightly in their eyes.

Even the family that sniffled and cried as they waited for news of a loved one, Alice thought was beautiful, because it was a display of love. Of loving and caring for someone other than yourself.

Life was beautiful even with the ugly parts. It was perfectly flawed.

Finally, she was pulled from her musings as Ethan pulled to a stop in front of a large hospital room door that was cracked.

Ethan knocked and they heard a soft spoken, "Come in."

When Ethan opened the door and pushed Alice through she was able to look at the hospital room around them, a room none to different from Alice's own room.