Decisions

"Have you finished setting up the explosives?" Ardan asked.

Koshka had just gone back to base without Adagio. It was already night time when she arrived. The dragon seraphim decided to stay in the mines to heal the minions injured there so it was only her who returned.

"Yeah, but I didn't find Taka." Koshka replied, sounding disappointed.

"Taka came back while you were out. I already sent him to Catherine's base to spy on them." Ardan said and stood up to get the gun oil for the minions' guns. "You know he looked bothered. Did you two have a fight?" he asked and glanced at her.

The feline blushed lightly. "Why does everybody think we're together?" she replied and crouched down, her hands rested on the ground. "Maybe he was just hungry? Maybe he was tired? I don't know but we didn't fight, I assure you."

Ardan gave Koshka a look before he grabbed the gun oil on top of his supplies shelf. The technologist went back to his worktable and began cleaning the minion guns. "Whatever you say kid."

Koshka frowned a little. "I'm going to my tent. I'm tired." she said.

"Alright, but leave your arms so I can fix it." Ardan said, setting aside the minion gun he was fixing. "I'll have a minion deliver it to your tent later."

Koshka nodded and then removed her mechanical arm, placing it on Ardan's worktable. The feline left without saying a word, making Ardan shake his head. "Kids these days."

"You know she hates being teased." it was Celeste who came into the tent. "And she's only sixteen dadda, go easy on her." the princess said and planted a kiss on her father's cheek.

"I wasn't teasing. I was only asking her." Ardan defended.

Celeste chuckled and then sat on the chair she pulled from the corner. She watched as her father worked on Koshka's weapon.

"Something bothering you?" Ardan asked, his eyes fixated on his work.

Celeste shook her head. "Nothing dadda." she smiled.

Ardan was silent for awhile before he spoke again. "I raised you. I would know when you're lying." he said and glanced at her.

Celeste did not answer and instead stared at the ground. Ardan placed down the mechanical arm to reach for his daughter's hand and gave it a light squeeze. "You don't have to say it, I know what's bothering you." he said.

"I still don't understand why Vox–" Celeste's voice cracked and she paused as her eyes began welling up.

"I'm sure he's doing this for a good reason." Ardan said, trying to console her. He himself was not sure why Vox turned against them and joined Catherine, the same woman who took their Julia's life. It was a few months back when they encountered Catherine again after another year of hiding since their encounter with her in the Carnie Wheel. It was only the three of them—him and the twins who battled Catherine and the other stormguards. They were outnumbered that time but Ardan was ready to fight until his last breath, but Vox suddenly stepped in the middle of it all and surrendered himself. Vox even attacked him and Celeste; injuring her on the arm which also gave them time to escape.

"Has Taka reported anything new about Vox?" Celeste asked weakly.

Ardan shook his head. "We will know when he returns."

Celeste's tears slowly ran down her cheeks as she pursed her lips and nodded. Ardan pulled her towards him gently, wrapping her into a tight hug.

Oh Julia, what am I to do?

*End of Decisions (Chapter 2)*