Special: Red Lantern (pt 2)

The Undersprawl was energetic and beautiful tonight, rows of lantern decoratives hung from side to side. You'd barely be able to see the sky but it's normal, after all it would be ridiculous to not have any lantern in sight as tonight is the Red Lantern Festival. The carnie kids crowded the streets, most of them walked in groups. A few dozen of townies were in there too; they absolutely love the parties thrown by the carnies and often attend it.

In one corner, a band of men wearing red, short-sleeved hanfu drummed passionately on their taiko drum. The beat was lively and in tune with the orchestra that played at the other side. A line of stalls stood at the east side with several variety of food sold by some townsfolk. In the middle of it all a girl and a boy ran and made their way through the flood of festival goers.

"Hurry up Taka! Or else we won't get a good spot!" Koshka yelled at Taka who was running behind her. They were hurrying to get a good spot to view the fireworks which was going to start in 10 minutes.

Taka tried to catch up with the feline while avoiding all the people that blocked the way. He focused his gaze at Koshka who was effortlessly dodging the obstacles. Watching her made him wonder if the girl was used to being in crowded places, she was really fast. He could catch up with her if he uses his kaku and nonchalantly shove people out of his way but he didn't want to cause any ruckus and potentially make Koshka disappointed and angry.

"Slowpoke!" the feline laughed as soon as they reached the top of a nearby hill that overlooked the festival. Koshka crouched down facing the spectacular view of the lights below and sighed. "Pretty~" she breathed.

Taka dropped on her side and sprawled his legs forward as he caught his breath. "Not as pretty as you." he whispered.

Koshka heard what Taka said and tried to hide her blush. "Where's the food we bought?" she asked, trying to change the topic to calm her heart that kept beating like crazy. "I wanna eat some of those juicy kumquats now!"

The fox unlatched his bag from his back and took out a paperbag filled with kumquat. He handed it to Koshka who immediately took one to eat. Aside from the fruit, the pair had also bought, some bak kwa, bahulu, pineapple tart and of course Koshka's favorite—the peanut cookies. When both had settled in their place they began snacking on the delicious festival food.

"We got a pretty good spot here!" Koshka smiled.

"With the way you ran through that sea of carnies and townies? Pfff–there was no doubt you'd get us a great spot." Taka praised her. "I was wondering... you seem to be used to festivals...  do you often go to these?" the fox asked then ate some bak kwa.

Koshka blinked. "Yeah, I used to be in festivals all the time," the feline said before grabbing the pack of peanut cookies. "I'm friends with some carnie kids!" she smiled then pouted. "But I didn't see them down there."

"You just probably missed them, I'm sure they're down there." the fox smiled. "We can go back later to look for them." he offered. Although Taka wanted to have Koshka all to himself he knew it would make her happy to see her friends.

"Really? Thanks! You're the best!" Koshka smiled widely. The feline wanted to give him a hug but stopped herself from doing it. She remembered what Celeste and Skye told her: 'Don't be too touchy with him.'

There was silence between the two that ensued, but the faint sound of music from the festival kept the atmosphere light. Koshka and Taka continued eating the snacks quietly while watching the movement of people below. There were two men that walked to the bottom of the hill with some fireworks on a stick. One of them began planting the fireworks while the other seemed to be goofing around. The bottom of the hill was later on filled with rows of fireworks and seemed to be set to lit. The feline who watched excitedly turned her gaze to the huge metal ring that leaned against one of the trees near the fireworks that caught her attention.