Confrontation

Joule hid. She was determined to confront the prince earlier but watching the twins' tearful reunion made her anxious, she wasn't sure if she could handle nor believe whatever answer Vox will throw at her.

"Please Vox... You don't have to do this." Celeste sobbed. "We can fight them together, we're strong enough."

"I need you to go." Vox said and gently pushed his twin away. "Now."

Celeste pursed her lips, tears still flowing from her eyes. The princess then turned away and took a last good look at him before she began to leave.

When Celeste was out of sight Vox walked to the nearby tree and leaned against it. "I trust you're not going to tell anyone what you saw or heard..."

Joule who was still crouching down stood up. Her legs felt a little numb and wobbly from being in one position that it made her tumble a bit. Vox caught her before she completely stumbled down.

"You're really not used to using your legs huh?" The prince joked and laughed stiffly.

"You were never on our side."

The girl's voice cracked mid-sentence as she tried so hard not to cry nor yell at Vox.

"I'm sorry." Vox said. "But, I care about you and some of our team mates and that is true."

Joule pushed the prince away as hard as she could. "You were going to betray us! What do you mean that you care?!"

"I would never ever let you get harmed. I already had a plan that wouldn't require for us to fight!" Vox said.

"We're at war. Everybody gets harmed. It's either MY team or your family's!" Joule said, her eyes beginning to turn red from trying to hold back the tears that now crept from the corner of her eyes.

"Joule please have faith in me."

"Faith? I just lost that."

Vox despised himself at this point. He had hurt not only his family but now someone who he cares about. The prince reached for Joule who fell silent and hugged her tight, the girl stood motionless. "I never intended for this to happen. I only did what I thought is right."

"Tell me..." Joule spoke, as she leaned her body towards Vox letting his embrace support her. "Were you going to leave?"

The question was anticipated but nonetheless it still surprised Vox. He didn't know how to answer it and he wished he didn't have to.

"You don't have to answer," Joule said as if she read his mind. "I don't want to hear it."

The prince tightened his embrace as a silent 'thank you'. "I'm sorry I ruined your birthday." he whispered, trying to quickly trash the previous topic. Although they both knew that what had just happened has affected them both greatly, it was still Joule's birthday and Vox had to give her, his present.

"I hope that thing that I witnessed earlier wasn't your present 'cause you still owe me one." Joule said softly. "You made me come all the way here after all."

Vox smiled and let her go from his hug. "Of course not..." he said and then wiped the little tear from a corner of Joule's eye. "I originally planned on making the Kraken sing Happy Birthday but I realized that the Kraken couldn't pronounce a single word. So instead... I got you these." Vox said and handed her a bundled up envelopes.

Joule took the bundle from him and immediately looked at the letters one by one. It turned out to be handwritten cards by the girl's friends from her past. "Oh my MAC! How did you find them? How did you do this?!" Joule exclaimed.

"A little researching isn't hard to do."

Joule broke into a smile that faded in a minute. "So... How are they?"

"They're all looking so well."

Joule felt relieved to hear that her friends are doing good and well. She looked at Vox and gently ushered him down to give him a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you." she said.

Vox gave her a nod and then patted her head.

"I won't tell anyone about what I heard tonight... but on one condition; you need to make sure that none of our friends from camp is going to lose their life in this war." Joule said as she looked straight into Vox's eyes.

"I promise." Vox replied.

"I have faith that you will keep your word." Joule said as she made up her mind about this whole ordeal.

Vox was feeling relieved. He believes that Joule is honorable and she will not break her own words of not telling Catherine about his meeting with Celeste.

"Your faith in me won't be a waste."

A/N: Yo everyone, here's a short update. This chapter is actually the continuation from the Birthday Blues chapter of the main storyline. I'll post the next chapter in the near future. Thank you for being patient with me! Like always, sorry for making you guys wait for long periods of time! I hope you all continue supporting this fan fiction! Until then, see ya!