Claw Trap

"I'll go this way, you go that way. It's that simple." Ringo explained to Petal.

"But it's better if we stick together!" Petal groused.

"Good grief. You're a hero. Man up and head that way!" the drunkard said.

The green creature sighed and gave up, they've been discussing this for half an hour already and it was beginning to be a waste of time. "Okay. We'll split up." she groaned. "Although it's never a good idea, and I know you'll just end up drunk and stuck up in a tree somewhere."

"Yeah. Yeah." Ringo bobbled his head from side to side as he replied. "I will do actual patrol, I promise." he said and raised his hand where his liquor jug hang.

"See! You are going to drink!" Petal exclaimed.

"Whoops." Ringo grinned before he began to run. "See you in the morning!" he yelled as he fled.

As the drunkard disappeared, Petal can only shake her head. "I'm not even a man."

"Oh don't worry, he won't die. Even when drunk that bastard can shoot with perfect precision." Taka said as he appeared out of nowhere. "He wouldn't be called The Peerless Shootist if he isn't great."

"HOLY SH—EED TAKA. Don't startle me like that!" Petal screamed.

The fox tipped his head to the side curiously before bursting into a loud laughter. "I thought by now you'd be used to me 'popping' out of nowhere."

"Well I'm not THAT used to it yet." Petal frowned.

"Aww you poor baby." Taka teased. "Anyway, I'm heading back for now. You can manage alone right?"

"Of course I can. I have my munnies with me." Petal assured.

"You sure?"

Petal nodded. "I'm sure, now go home. Koshka's waiting for you."

"Really? Why would she?"

"Ugh, don't deny it, we all you know you two have a thing going on." Petal teased.

Taka chuckled and scratched the back of his ear. "We're not a thing. Koshka only sees me as a friend—a team mate. So stop teasing us."

"Whatever you say." Petal grinned.

"Yes, whatever I say is true." Taka said before he disappeared right before Petal's eyes.

"Well, see you later. I guess." Petal whispered, unsure if the fox was still around.

As the green creature continued roaming the jungle, the sun had set and night time fell on the fold; only the faint glow of the fireflies and the moon illuminated the area. Petal and her munion checked for anything suspicious in each nook and cranny of the jungle.

"Alright, nothing here." Petal announced.

Petal was about to call it a night when suddenly she heard a low whimper behind the berry shrub. The green creature shushed her munion and listened well to the sound. It sounded like a hurt animal, whimpering like a dog left outside the house by its owner in winter. It was dangerous Petal knew that but her curiosity got the best of her and she went to take a peek behind the shrubs.

"What the—"

Petal gasped as she saw Fortress laying on the ground bleeding whilst his back leg was stuck in a claw trap. The wolf's head snapped to Petal's direction but the green creature did not move a finger.

"Are you gonna watch me die or you'll help me out of this stupid contraption?" Fortress growled.

The green creature came to her senses and immediately went on her war mode. "You're an enemy why would I help you? I should even get some pop-pop corn right now and eat while I watch you bleed to death."